Jan 17, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT
The other day an excerpt was released from Terry Francona’s upcoming book in which Theo Epstein was quoted as being highly critical of Tom Werner and John Henry’s ownership of the Red Sox. Specifically, that they cared more about image than winning and made some foolish-sounding comments about adding “sizzle” and that the Sox “start winning in more exciting fashion.”
Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston spoke to Epstein, however, and Epstein takes issue with the way his comments about all of that are presented in Francona’s book. He says that his criticism was of marketing consultants, not the team owners, and denies that any moves he made were with an eye toward upping the “sizzle factor” in Boston. He also says that (a) Werner’s comment about winning “in more exciting fashion” was made as a joke; and (b) Francona’s claim that the team owners don’t love baseball is simply wrong.
As if the final days of the Epstein-Francona dynasty in Boston weren’t exciting enough, now we have a “Rashomon” aspect to all of it.
Ruben Amaro on Andy Oliver’s decision to elect free agency: “I think it was a very foolish move on his part, but that’s OK.”
Apr 17, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Ruben Amaro seems a little upset that Andy Oliver didn’t want to start the season with Triple-A Lehigh Valley.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
The Mets will be stretching out Rafael Montero as a starter at Triple-A Las Vegas before bringing him back to the majors for a spot start against the Marlins.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
Mike Trout became the youngest to join the 100/100 club with a two-run home run on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Alex Rodriguez has two home runs on Friday night, leaving him two round-trippers shy of tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:11 PM EDT
Matt Carpenter made a cool maneuver to score the tying run in the bottom of the first against the Reds on Friday night.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
Neither side was warned, but Ubaldo Jimenez was ejected for hitting Pablo Sandoval with a pitch on Friday evening.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
A-Rod is now three home runs away from tying Willie Mays for fourth on the all-time home run leaderboard.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Since 2000, how often have teams that started 9-1 went on to have playoff success?
Apr 17, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Mark Buehrle, baseball’s timeless left-hander, is reportedly considering retiring after the season.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Well, he’s certainly not getting the support of the Los Angeles Angels.
Apr 17, 2015, 5:13 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT
Duensing had an ugly outing Thursday in which he turned a blowout into a save situation for closer Glen Perkins.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:41 PM EDT
Ryan Goins, who was called up from Triple-A, is expected to be Reyes’ primary fill-in at shortstop.
Apr 17, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
And call up infielder Danny Muno.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
OK, maybe that’s a bit strong.
Apr 17, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Sanchez was the fourth overall pick in the 2009 draft.
Apr 17, 2015, 1:42 PM EDT
Left-hander Kyle Lobstein will continue to fill in for Verlander.
Apr 17, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
We want more of this? Really?
Apr 17, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
Stow used to work as an EMT at San Jose games. Good to see him back.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
Jose Abreu or Barbaro Canizares?
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)