Jan 17, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT
Butera is perhaps the worst hitter in baseball, batting .183 with a .497 OPS in 184 career games, but the Twins are in love with his defense and have kept him on the roster for three seasons as a second- and third-string catcher.
Giving him a big-league roster spot and job are very much debatable decisions, but Butera was arbitration eligible for the first time and basically gets the lowest possible jump in salary. Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit are expected to once again alternate between catcher and designated hitter, leaving Butera to soak up whatever playing time behind the plate remains.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (95)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)