Drew Butera avoids arbitration with Twins for $700,000

Jan 17, 2013, 12:48 PM EDT

Chicago White Sox v Minnesota Twins Getty Images

Minnesota has avoided arbitration with backup catcher Drew Butera by signing him to a one-year, $700,000 deal.

Butera is perhaps the worst hitter in baseball, batting .183 with a .497 OPS in 184 career games, but the Twins are in love with his defense and have kept him on the roster for three seasons as a second- and third-string catcher.

Giving him a big-league roster spot and job are very much debatable decisions, but Butera was arbitration eligible for the first time and basically gets the lowest possible jump in salary. Joe Mauer and Ryan Doumit are expected to once again alternate between catcher and designated hitter, leaving Butera to soak up whatever playing time behind the plate remains.

1. zzalapski - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

There is no logical reason for Drew Butera to be on a major league roster. None.

This would’ve been the easiest $220K the Twins could have saved. Plenty of AAA catchers can suck as much as Butera does for the major league minimum.

2. Joe - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Quite the premium for a roster spot (third-string catcher) that most teams don’t fill at the major league level. But who am I to argue with the success of the Twins?

3. mattdubya - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I Googled “Slow News Day” and it brought me here.

• kopy - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Speak for yourself. I just ended my hunger strike.

4. hansob - Jan 17, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Even if you wanted him back, I don’t know why the Twins wouldn’t just release him and re-sign him to a minimum contract. no other team is going to be interested in paying him more than $500K, if any team would be interested at all.

5. albertmn - Jan 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Likely the worst hitter in MLB, and he will make more next season than I will make in the next 10+ years. Sad.

• moogro - Jan 18, 2013 at 6:26 PM

More than I ever will in my lifetime. 60 years of income…yea, that’s about right.

6. drsteller - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Ugh.

7. Mark - Jan 17, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Were the Twins afraid he’d make more in arbitration?

8. wlschneider09 - Jan 17, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Sigh…

9. moogro - Jan 18, 2013 at 6:56 PM

The arbitration process must be more trouble than it’s worth.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2821)