Jan 17, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
The Yankees announced this evening that they have avoided arbitration with right-hander Joba Chamberlain by agreeing to a one-year contract. Ken Davidoff of the New York Post hears that he’ll make $1.875 million, which is a slight raise from his $1.65 million salary last year.
Chamberlain was on track to return from Tommy John surgery during the first half last year, but the timeline changed dramatically after he suffered a right ankle dislocation on a trampoline during spring training. While it was initially feared that he would miss the entire season, he made his way back to the majors by August 1. The 27-year-old right-hander ended up posting a 4.35 ERA and 22/6 K/BB ratio over 20 2/3 innings during the regular season and pitched 2 1/3 scoreless innings during the postseason.
Chamberlain averaged 94.7 mph in his return last season, which is right in line with where he was before Tommy John surgery, so he should be a useful piece in the mid-to-late innings. This was his final year of arbitration, so he’s currently due to become a free agent next offseason.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)