Jan 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Someone mentioned “quad-A” players earlier. I tend to call them AAAA-guys, but you know who I mean. Players who are too good for Triple-A but can’t seem to cut it in the bigs. Mat Gamel was the one mentioned in the comment, but there are a bunch of them floating around.
Extremely bored, I started daydreaming and imagined the Quad-A guys all meeting for a convention. An annual get-together or something where they talk about the challenges of having no place. Maybe it’s more of a support group thing, during which these guys deal with the unique problem of sometimes being so much better than those around them, sometimes being worse, and never having peace and comfort because of it.
But then I just thought, nah, they need a bar. The Quad-A Cafe, maybe. I mused to Twitter what it might be like. I then got a bunch of great responses:
@SouthSideSox: The menu consists of a few cups of coffee.
@SSS_UGod: And some pop, but not as much as you’d like.
@guyd10: Clearly would have a coffee maker, but the coffee would only be available in September…
@DangerousMabry: It would boast a list of 135 whiskys. But they’d all be Canadian.
@EvansiPhone4s: servers would always be missing 1 tool
@SteveGlauber: TVs always set to ESPN2
@RDansky: The BPro guys would constantly be clamoring for it to get a shot at a better location.
@EnnHaitch: Might just be really inconsistent.
Pull up a chair and let the bartender of the Quad-A Cafe, Roberto Petagine, pour you an OK, but not spectacular drink. Then, if you’re hungry, allow our cook, Ken Phelps, to make you a totally adequate burger that does not quite meet your expectations. But make sure you behave yourself or else our bouncer, Jeff Clement, will throw you out.
Wait, who am I kidding? If Jeff Clement could throw anyone out he wouldn’t be at the Quad-A in the first place.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 70
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)