Jan 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Someone mentioned “quad-A” players earlier. I tend to call them AAAA-guys, but you know who I mean. Players who are too good for Triple-A but can’t seem to cut it in the bigs. Mat Gamel was the one mentioned in the comment, but there are a bunch of them floating around.
Extremely bored, I started daydreaming and imagined the Quad-A guys all meeting for a convention. An annual get-together or something where they talk about the challenges of having no place. Maybe it’s more of a support group thing, during which these guys deal with the unique problem of sometimes being so much better than those around them, sometimes being worse, and never having peace and comfort because of it.
But then I just thought, nah, they need a bar. The Quad-A Cafe, maybe. I mused to Twitter what it might be like. I then got a bunch of great responses:
@SouthSideSox: The menu consists of a few cups of coffee.
@SSS_UGod: And some pop, but not as much as you’d like.
@guyd10: Clearly would have a coffee maker, but the coffee would only be available in September…
@DangerousMabry: It would boast a list of 135 whiskys. But they’d all be Canadian.
@EvansiPhone4s: servers would always be missing 1 tool
@SteveGlauber: TVs always set to ESPN2
@RDansky: The BPro guys would constantly be clamoring for it to get a shot at a better location.
@EnnHaitch: Might just be really inconsistent.
Pull up a chair and let the bartender of the Quad-A Cafe, Roberto Petagine, pour you an OK, but not spectacular drink. Then, if you’re hungry, allow our cook, Ken Phelps, to make you a totally adequate burger that does not quite meet your expectations. But make sure you behave yourself or else our bouncer, Jeff Clement, will throw you out.
Wait, who am I kidding? If Jeff Clement could throw anyone out he wouldn’t be at the Quad-A in the first place.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)