Jan 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Someone mentioned “quad-A” players earlier. I tend to call them AAAA-guys, but you know who I mean. Players who are too good for Triple-A but can’t seem to cut it in the bigs. Mat Gamel was the one mentioned in the comment, but there are a bunch of them floating around.
Extremely bored, I started daydreaming and imagined the Quad-A guys all meeting for a convention. An annual get-together or something where they talk about the challenges of having no place. Maybe it’s more of a support group thing, during which these guys deal with the unique problem of sometimes being so much better than those around them, sometimes being worse, and never having peace and comfort because of it.
But then I just thought, nah, they need a bar. The Quad-A Cafe, maybe. I mused to Twitter what it might be like. I then got a bunch of great responses:
@SouthSideSox: The menu consists of a few cups of coffee.
@SSS_UGod: And some pop, but not as much as you’d like.
@guyd10: Clearly would have a coffee maker, but the coffee would only be available in September…
@DangerousMabry: It would boast a list of 135 whiskys. But they’d all be Canadian.
@EvansiPhone4s: servers would always be missing 1 tool
@SteveGlauber: TVs always set to ESPN2
@RDansky: The BPro guys would constantly be clamoring for it to get a shot at a better location.
@EnnHaitch: Might just be really inconsistent.
Pull up a chair and let the bartender of the Quad-A Cafe, Roberto Petagine, pour you an OK, but not spectacular drink. Then, if you’re hungry, allow our cook, Ken Phelps, to make you a totally adequate burger that does not quite meet your expectations. But make sure you behave yourself or else our bouncer, Jeff Clement, will throw you out.
Wait, who am I kidding? If Jeff Clement could throw anyone out he wouldn’t be at the Quad-A in the first place.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)