Jan 18, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Someone mentioned “quad-A” players earlier. I tend to call them AAAA-guys, but you know who I mean. Players who are too good for Triple-A but can’t seem to cut it in the bigs. Mat Gamel was the one mentioned in the comment, but there are a bunch of them floating around.
Extremely bored, I started daydreaming and imagined the Quad-A guys all meeting for a convention. An annual get-together or something where they talk about the challenges of having no place. Maybe it’s more of a support group thing, during which these guys deal with the unique problem of sometimes being so much better than those around them, sometimes being worse, and never having peace and comfort because of it.
But then I just thought, nah, they need a bar. The Quad-A Cafe, maybe. I mused to Twitter what it might be like. I then got a bunch of great responses:
@SouthSideSox: The menu consists of a few cups of coffee.
@SSS_UGod: And some pop, but not as much as you’d like.
@guyd10: Clearly would have a coffee maker, but the coffee would only be available in September…
@DangerousMabry: It would boast a list of 135 whiskys. But they’d all be Canadian.
@EvansiPhone4s: servers would always be missing 1 tool
@SteveGlauber: TVs always set to ESPN2
@RDansky: The BPro guys would constantly be clamoring for it to get a shot at a better location.
@EnnHaitch: Might just be really inconsistent.
Pull up a chair and let the bartender of the Quad-A Cafe, Roberto Petagine, pour you an OK, but not spectacular drink. Then, if you’re hungry, allow our cook, Ken Phelps, to make you a totally adequate burger that does not quite meet your expectations. But make sure you behave yourself or else our bouncer, Jeff Clement, will throw you out.
Wait, who am I kidding? If Jeff Clement could throw anyone out he wouldn’t be at the Quad-A in the first place.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)