Jan 18, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Niemann was arbitration eligible for the second time after earning $2.75 million last season and gets only a small bump in salary because he missed most of the year with a broken fibula followed by shoulder problems.
He’s expected to be fully healthy for spring training and will be back in the middle of the Rays’ rotation, where the 30-year-old right-hander has a 4.06 ERA and 6.7 strikeouts per nine innings in 92 career starts.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 84
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 223
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (223)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)