Jan 18, 2013, 1:47 PM EDT
This was Wieters’ first season of arbitration eligibility, so he’s headed for some huge paydays in 2014 and 2015 even though he’s yet to top an .800 OPS. Gold Glove-winning catchers who can hit a little bit definitely get paid.
All of which means if the Orioles approach Wieters about that long-term extension it’ll likely have to be a massive one. For now he’s under team control through 2015 and age 29 anyway, so Baltimore may not want to rush into a long-term commitment to a good but not great player at a position where the aging patterns often aren’t pretty.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)