Jan 18, 2013, 1:47 PM EDT
This was Wieters’ first season of arbitration eligibility, so he’s headed for some huge paydays in 2014 and 2015 even though he’s yet to top an .800 OPS. Gold Glove-winning catchers who can hit a little bit definitely get paid.
All of which means if the Orioles approach Wieters about that long-term extension it’ll likely have to be a massive one. For now he’s under team control through 2015 and age 29 anyway, so Baltimore may not want to rush into a long-term commitment to a good but not great player at a position where the aging patterns often aren’t pretty.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)