Jan 18, 2013, 1:47 PM EST
This was Wieters’ first season of arbitration eligibility, so he’s headed for some huge paydays in 2014 and 2015 even though he’s yet to top an .800 OPS. Gold Glove-winning catchers who can hit a little bit definitely get paid.
All of which means if the Orioles approach Wieters about that long-term extension it’ll likely have to be a massive one. For now he’s under team control through 2015 and age 29 anyway, so Baltimore may not want to rush into a long-term commitment to a good but not great player at a position where the aging patterns often aren’t pretty.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)