Jan 18, 2013, 6:18 PM EDT
Not long after he was hired as the Cardinals’ replacement for Tony La Russa in the dugout, it was reported that Mike Matheny was in serious debt due to bad real estate deals that cost him his 17-room home in Missouri.
14 months later, Matheny was still fighting over just how much he owes the Business Bank of St. Louis, but he lost his case today in front of Judge Tom DePriest, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
It was reported last year that Matheny might owe more than $4 million after he stopped making payments on land he and a business partner bought. No financial details came out of today’s judgment, though. That matter will be settled during a March 13 hearing.
Matheny made nearly $20 million in a major league career that came to a close in 2006. He sold his home for $1.9 million in 2010 prior to its foreclosure. $1 million of that went to the Business Bank, which claimed that Matheny owed $10.2 million. While his annual salary from managing the Cardinals was never disclosed, Matheny likely makes somewhere between $1 million-$1.5 million per year.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)