Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz still has a long road ahead of him in his rehab from Tommy John surgery, but he took an encouraging step forward this morning. Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News reports that Feliz threw soft-toss at the Rangers’ pitching mini-camp, his first time throwing since his surgery last August.
“It felt good,” Feliz said, adding through an interpreter, “I feel strong. I feel good. I’ve been doing what the team tells me to do. I have been lifting weights to get ready and I’m stronger.”
Barring setbacks, the hope is that Feliz could return as soon as July or August. He’d have a better chance of meeting that timeline as a reliever, but the club hasn’t made a formal decision about his role yet.
Feliz was moved to the starting rotation last year and posted a 3.16 ERA and 37/23 K/BB ratio over 42 2/3 innings prior to landing on the disabled list in June. The 24-year-old right-hander avoided arbitration with the Rangers yesterday by agreeing to a one-year, $2.9 million contract.
- Cubs activate Matt Garza for first start in 10 months 0
- Thanks to Jeff Loria, Miami gets shut out of the Super Bowl 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 54
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (106)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (95)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Live Extra: Watch Bruins-Rangers, Game 3
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- CSN: Tiger admits he and Sergio don't get along
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team