Neftali Feliz throws for first time since Tommy John surgery

Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT

Neftali Feliz AP AP

Neftali Feliz still has a long road ahead of him in his rehab from Tommy John surgery, but he took an encouraging step forward this morning. Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News reports that Feliz threw soft-toss at the Rangers’ pitching mini-camp, his first time throwing since his surgery last August.

“It felt good,” Feliz said, adding through an interpreter, “I feel strong. I feel good. I’ve been doing what the team tells me to do. I have been lifting weights to get ready and I’m stronger.”

Barring setbacks, the hope is that Feliz could return as soon as July or August. He’d have a better chance of meeting that timeline as a reliever, but the club hasn’t made a formal decision about his role yet.

Feliz was moved to the starting rotation last year and posted a 3.16 ERA and 37/23 K/BB ratio over 42 2/3 innings prior to landing on the disabled list in June. The 24-year-old right-hander avoided arbitration with the Rangers yesterday by agreeing to a one-year, $2.9 million contract.

1. halohonk - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Never should have made him a starter in the 1st place. Keep him in the pen. It’s a shame hes only 24 and already Tj surgery. Betcha Nolan & the boys are 2nd guessing their decision. Wish the kid the best.

2. rangercat - Jan 19, 2013 at 1:59 AM

He was a starter for most of his minor league career, and will likely be back in the rotation in 2014. Betcha Nolan and the boys know what they’re doing. Brett Anderson had TJ surgery at 23 and came back nicely at the end of last year. Feliz should be fine, sir, don’tcha worry.

• jaybow666 - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:26 AM

His mechanics are absolutely horrid so I’m going to have to worry. Fegit.

3. markofapro - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Honker, what? Are you suggesting he hurt his arm because he was a starter?

4. halohonk - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

yes I am. If you pitch as a starter with a closer mentality, i think he threw is arm out. Thats just my opinion dont have any data on that but he is young and i think he was overthrowing not used to going more than 1 maybe 2 innings. How many did he throw before he blew it out? 40? Just a theory.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB