Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 PM EDT
Neftali Feliz still has a long road ahead of him in his rehab from Tommy John surgery, but he took an encouraging step forward this morning. Brad Townsend of the Dallas Morning News reports that Feliz threw soft-toss at the Rangers’ pitching mini-camp, his first time throwing since his surgery last August.
“It felt good,” Feliz said, adding through an interpreter, “I feel strong. I feel good. I’ve been doing what the team tells me to do. I have been lifting weights to get ready and I’m stronger.”
Barring setbacks, the hope is that Feliz could return as soon as July or August. He’d have a better chance of meeting that timeline as a reliever, but the club hasn’t made a formal decision about his role yet.
Feliz was moved to the starting rotation last year and posted a 3.16 ERA and 37/23 K/BB ratio over 42 2/3 innings prior to landing on the disabled list in June. The 24-year-old right-hander avoided arbitration with the Rangers yesterday by agreeing to a one-year, $2.9 million contract.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT(Edit)
Kyle Lohse may have lost his spot in the Brewers’ rotation as his struggles continued on Sunday against the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT(Edit)
Adeiny Hechavarria prevented the Marlins from getting swept by the Padres on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT(Edit)
Lucas Duda has no respect for familial ties.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT(Edit)
Red Sox pitching prospect Henry Owens will debut at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. No pressure, kid.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT(Edit)
It’s safe to say the Royals and Blue Jays won’t be getting dinner with each other anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT(Edit)
Brandon Morrow will get a second opinion on his right shoulder, as his injury woes persist.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT(Edit)
Cincinnati hosted one of two benches-clearing incidents in baseball on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT(Edit)
Brad Ausmus has a candidate to handle save situations following the Joakim Soria trade.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT(Edit)
Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton might not return in mid-August as originally anticipated.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:01 PM EDT(Edit)
Red Sox starter Rick Porcello heads to the disabled list with a triceps injury.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:14 AM EDT(Edit)
I think it may be!
Aug 2, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT(Edit)
Great moments in macho baseball culture
Aug 2, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT(Edit)
Let’s talk about waivers.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT(Edit)
Note: that is not his hand or glove.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)