Jan 18, 2013, 3:10 PM EDT
This was Hanrahan’s final year of arbitration eligibility and so he’ll be a free agent next offseason, which along with the high price tag and Jason Grilli‘s emergence played a part in Pittsburgh looking to trade him. He made $4.1 million in 2012.
Manager John Farrell has already said that Hanrahan, not Andrew Bailey, will begin the season as the Red Sox’s closer. Hanrahan saved 36 games last season and 40 games in 2011, throwing a combined 128 innings with a 2.24 ERA and 128/52 K/BB ratio.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11