Terry Francona is “a little disappointed” about the excerpt released from his book

Jan 18, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT

Terry Francona AP

Some excerpts from Terry Francona’s upcoming book, “Francona: The Red Sox Years,” were released in Sports Illustrated earlier this week and they didn’t exactly paint the owners of the Red Sox in a favorable light. It also presented former general manager Theo Epstein as being critical of ownership. Well, after Epstein came out to refute what was presented in the book, now Francona tells Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he feels the excerpts were misleading.

“That’s not what the book is about,” Francona said on Friday. “I’m comfortable that when these people take the time to read it through, that it gets put in better perspective. Personally, I’m a little disappointed, but I just have to be patient and hope that people want to read the book. I’m smart enough to know that that’s why those things get put out there.

“If it helps sell them, I’m glad,” he added with a laugh. “But at the same time, that’s not what the book is basically about.”

Francona says the book is mostly about “eight years of a lot of funny, happy [stories],” but a pitch like that isn’t going to result in many eyeballs or dollars.

1. mattymatty - Jan 18, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I think if the pitch was something like here’s an insider’s look at the ’04 and ’07 Red Sox from the guy that was in the dugout the whole time that would sell a ton. Maybe I’m naive but the Red Sox sure sold a heck of a lot of stuff about their two World Series wins, so I don’t think this has to be A) a muck-raking book, or B) painted as a muck-racking book to be a success.

• tpxdmd - Jan 18, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Just like Torre’s book. We all wanted to read how terrific it was to win all those games and not learn how people can’t stand A-rod…

• dan1111 - Jan 19, 2013 at 3:38 AM

The best thing to hope for is an accurate book.

2. Kevin Gillman - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:07 PM

It probably is a book that started out like a dream come true, but ended with a sour taste in the mouth after the owners threw Terry out of town, alot like Torre’s book. But like Joe’s book, I’ll read it, because it also has some good stories too. Plus, it’s baseball.

3. sabatimus - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Dan Shaughnessy. Nuff said.

• Old Gator - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Let me paraphrase that: blecccccchhhhhhhhauuuggghhhhhh…..

4. humanexcrement - Jan 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Hats off to Francona for not using the phrase “out of context,” as a knee-jerk cliche like all morons do. Well, maybe he did say it and this quote is out of context.

5. patpatriot7 - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Then why did you choose Shank Shaughnessy with his renowned reputation as being anti-Boston teams well documented as your writer?????
    Seems a little disingenuous when you select Mr. Negative to co-write the book with you.

• Old Gator - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Don’t take it so personally. Shaughnessy’s aversions are never premeditated; they are always spontaneous.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet