Jan 18, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Some excerpts from Terry Francona’s upcoming book, “Francona: The Red Sox Years,” were released in Sports Illustrated earlier this week and they didn’t exactly paint the owners of the Red Sox in a favorable light. It also presented former general manager Theo Epstein as being critical of ownership. Well, after Epstein came out to refute what was presented in the book, now Francona tells Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he feels the excerpts were misleading.
“That’s not what the book is about,” Francona said on Friday. “I’m comfortable that when these people take the time to read it through, that it gets put in better perspective. Personally, I’m a little disappointed, but I just have to be patient and hope that people want to read the book. I’m smart enough to know that that’s why those things get put out there.
“If it helps sell them, I’m glad,” he added with a laugh. “But at the same time, that’s not what the book is basically about.”
Francona says the book is mostly about “eight years of a lot of funny, happy [stories],” but a pitch like that isn’t going to result in many eyeballs or dollars.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)