Jan 18, 2013, 9:32 PM EST
Some excerpts from Terry Francona’s upcoming book, “Francona: The Red Sox Years,” were released in Sports Illustrated earlier this week and they didn’t exactly paint the owners of the Red Sox in a favorable light. It also presented former general manager Theo Epstein as being critical of ownership. Well, after Epstein came out to refute what was presented in the book, now Francona tells Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he feels the excerpts were misleading.
“That’s not what the book is about,” Francona said on Friday. “I’m comfortable that when these people take the time to read it through, that it gets put in better perspective. Personally, I’m a little disappointed, but I just have to be patient and hope that people want to read the book. I’m smart enough to know that that’s why those things get put out there.
“If it helps sell them, I’m glad,” he added with a laugh. “But at the same time, that’s not what the book is basically about.”
Francona says the book is mostly about “eight years of a lot of funny, happy [stories],” but a pitch like that isn’t going to result in many eyeballs or dollars.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 10
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 152
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (153)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)