Jan 18, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Some excerpts from Terry Francona’s upcoming book, “Francona: The Red Sox Years,” were released in Sports Illustrated earlier this week and they didn’t exactly paint the owners of the Red Sox in a favorable light. It also presented former general manager Theo Epstein as being critical of ownership. Well, after Epstein came out to refute what was presented in the book, now Francona tells Jordan Bastian of MLB.com that he feels the excerpts were misleading.
“That’s not what the book is about,” Francona said on Friday. “I’m comfortable that when these people take the time to read it through, that it gets put in better perspective. Personally, I’m a little disappointed, but I just have to be patient and hope that people want to read the book. I’m smart enough to know that that’s why those things get put out there.
“If it helps sell them, I’m glad,” he added with a laugh. “But at the same time, that’s not what the book is basically about.”
Francona says the book is mostly about “eight years of a lot of funny, happy [stories],” but a pitch like that isn’t going to result in many eyeballs or dollars.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (189)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)