Jan 18, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT
Normally these drug suspensions are about the least substantial things we cover. But on “player X avoids arbitration with a one year deal” day, this is big news, my friends:
Oakland Athletics Minor League right-handed pitcher Gary Daley Jr. has been suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for Methylphenidate. The suspension of Daley, who is currently on the roster of the Double-A Midland RockHounds, will be effective at the start of next season.
Man, “Methylphenidate: is a big word. Fifteen letters! I bet no one can top that!
Free agent Minor League first baseman Austin Gallagher has been suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine. The suspension of Gallagher will be effective immediately upon his signing with another Major League organization.
I stand corrected.
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 0
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 75
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)