Two minor leaguers suspended

Jan 18, 2013, 4:39 PM EDT

Big word

Normally these drug suspensions are about the least substantial things we cover. But on “player X avoids arbitration with a one year deal” day, this is big news, my friends:

Oakland Athletics Minor League right-handed pitcher Gary Daley Jr. has been suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for Methylphenidate.  The suspension of Daley, who is currently on the roster of the Double-A Midland RockHounds, will be effective at the start of next season.

Man, “Methylphenidate: is a big word. Fifteen letters! I bet no one can top that!

Free agent Minor League first baseman Austin Gallagher has been suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for Methylhexaneamine.  The suspension of Gallagher will be effective immediately upon his signing with another Major League organization.

I stand corrected.

1. husky2score - Jan 18, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hey Craig, you forgot to close your parentheses on the word, “Methylphenidate. :)

• paperlions - Jan 18, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Wow, is really all that can be said about that one.

2. blc70 - Jan 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Methylphenidate is the chemical name for Ritalin, the ADHD drug and sometimes abused stimulant .

• El Bravo - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:07 PM

and the latter is an unsafe dietary drug apparently. I’d go w/ the Ritalin personally.

3. randygnyc - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Is it the same as adderall?

• cur68 - Jan 18, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Related, but not Adderall; its a mix of amphetamine & dextroamphetamine plus an alphabet soup of other stuff (amphetamine salts, I think). The methylhexaneamine stuff is a “fat burner”, often hidden in ordinary dietary supplements that you buy at “nutrition” stores. Other one’s Ritalin (as mentioned).

• historiophiliac - Jan 18, 2013 at 7:21 PM

You’re in heaven with this story, aren’t you?

• cur68 - Jan 18, 2013 at 8:21 PM

Confession time. I’m a bit apprehensive every time I see one of these amphetamine posts. There’s been the odd troll who’ll accuse Bautista & Encarnacion of steroids. This is bullshit. ‘Roids do nothing to produce an abrupt change from crappy hitter to elite slugger. If those two guys get nailed for anything its far more likely going to be some of the stuff you see listed on this post. Every time I click on one of these things I think “Not Bautista! Not E5! PLEEEEASE!” So far so good. Here’s hoping their urine remains as blameless as a spring lamb’s.

• raysfan1 - Jan 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Amazing how many players claim to have ADHD yet none seem to want to use the non-stimulant ADHD drug Strattera.

• historiophiliac - Jan 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Remember when they just told you to drink coffee?

PS. I can see Cur’s behind on the Daily Show again. :)

Papelbon destined to be traded?
  1. G. Stanton (3596)