Earl Weaver: 1930-2013

Jan 19, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

Earl Weaver Getty Getty Images

Sad news to pass along from Baltimore, as MASN Sports’ Roch Kubatko reports that Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver passed away last night. He was 82 years old.

An iconic figure with the Orioles, Weaver compiled a 1,480-1,060 record over 17 seasons as the team’s manager. This included stints from 1968-1982 and from 1985-1986. Known for his unique wit and progressive baseball strategy, Weaver led the club to six American League East titles, four pennants and a World Series title in 1970.

Weaver is 22nd all-time in managerial wins and ninth all-time in winning percentage. His fiery personality often led to some legendary arguments with umpires. Only Bobby Cox and John McGraw were ejected in more games.

Weaver was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1996 while his No. 4 is one of six numbers retired by the Orioles. He was present last June when the Orioles unveiled a statue with his likeness at Camden Yards.

So long to a true baseball legend.

1. natslady - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Rest in Peace, Mr. Weaver. Thanks for all you did, it was fun watching!

• Old Gator - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Indeed it was. Weaver was the Krakatoa of managers, and his kicking technique was rivaled only by Garo Yepremian’s. After an argument with him, many an umpire had to dry clean their trousers two or three times to get their cuffs clean. I was often amazed that, with some of his contortions and gestures, he didn’t throw his neck or back out of kilter or dislocate his shoulders and elbows. In any case you couldn’t help but envy him for the cavalcade of immortals he managed, either.

2. pisano - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:47 AM

One hell of a great baseball man, you were a thrill to watch in action. R.I.P.

• sabatimus - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:32 AM

And a thrill on Manager’s Corner :)

3. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:59 AM

condolences to the orioles family an fans. at least you guys got to honor him while he was alive. we here in detroit didn’t get to see sparky anderson honored in person. i liked earl weaver growing up. he seemed like a very interesting figure, and he was a hell of a manager. RIP

4. mungman69 - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

A great manager. He will be missed.

5. sophiethegreatdane - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Thank you Mr. Weaver for some wonderful memories. May you rest peacefully.

6. bigharold - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Being a Yankee fan I saw a lot of Earl Weaver and hated it when I did. Which means he must of been great. One of the greatest MLB managers of his era.

HAIL AND FAIR WELL!

7. youjivinmeturkey - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:17 AM

:*(

8. jackrabbit56 - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:25 AM

In my teens, I made my one and only visit to Memorial Stadium to see an Orioles game. Fittingly, Earl got thrown out of the game in the second inning. Not to worry, Mr. Weaver – they won’t throw you out of Heaven – rest in peace.

9. johninnerk - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Earl was certainly colorful, but one may question the results he achieved with powerhouse Baltimore teams. He won one World Series, the same number as the man who succeeded him as Baltimore manager, Joe Altobelli.

• bigbenblows86 - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

• randomdigits - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Such an unbelievably ignorant statement on many levels.

He helped build those powerhouse teams. Who do you think put Cal Jr at short? It wasn’t Joe Altobelli.

A short series is not the test of greatness in baseball, the regular season is.

He was a least a generation ahead of his time in baseball strategy. You would have no “Moneyball” without the foundation Weaver laid.

• daviddmsvcp - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I do not consider such behavior as Weaver’s, arguing and getting thrown out of games, to be in the best interests of baseball. Learn to act like a gentleman.

For all you people waxing eloquently about Earl Weaver, for all you people who can’t something critical abour Earl Weaver, get a life.

Get a life.

• raysfan1 - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

The first part of your comment indicates that you do not understand sports. You do not understand the competitive fire that drives those who reach the highest levels of their sport. If you really want to see competitors act like gentleman at all times, watch croquet.

The second part, well most people posting here understand that professional baseball is entertainment, and that Earl Weaver was both very good at what he did and very entertaining. I’m sure everyone who posts here is also well aware that, like everyone else, was a flawed human being. The flaws take nothing away from his humanity.

Lastly, when someone who touched one’s life passes, it is a time for reflection. Those who do not wish to pay their respects do not need to feel obligated to do so, but should be respectful enough to stay silent and allow others to mourn without being a grandstanding piss ant like you. Go find a mirror, look in it and then say “get a life” to the one person who needs to hear it right now.

• daviddmsvcp - Jan 20, 2013 at 1:11 AM

Weaver was an a hole. He behaved very badly and I don’t know why you are giving him a pass. Very few behaved as badly as Weaver did.

You can call it entertainment. I call it bad behavior.

“Lastly, when someone who touched one’s life passes, it is a time for reflection. Those who do not wish to pay their respects do not need to feel obligated to do so, but should be respectful enough to stay silent and allow others to mourn without being a grandstanding piss ant like you”

You must be joking. You are mourning the death of Earl Weaver?!?! Why? What is Earl Weaver to you?

I am sorry that I do not meet your definition of respectful. So sorry. But I will not be silent. Why should I be? But please, do continue your mourning. Hope I am not messing up your mourning too much.

• daviddmsvcp - Jan 20, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing. Get a life. You need to, if Earl Weaver is so important to you.

• raysfan1 - Jan 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I have a wonderful life thanks, with the love of a wonderful woman, great kids, and more blessings than I can count. I don’t really think I need to get another.

Me, mourning? That’s not really what I said–I said you should be respectful of those who are, and I am sure there are many who are as he was a fixture in Baltimore for many years. My own feelings about him are that I found him entertaining, and I admired his skills as a manager. I said in another comment that he will be missed. I felt it appropriate to express condolences and pay respect.

You? You call out people on the day of their death, in front of others who wish to reminisce, about their bad behavior. That, Sir, is itself bad behavior.

Perhaps I have been too visceral in responding to you. I will let others judge that. However, I found and feel your post to be in poor form.

• daviddmsvcp - Jan 20, 2013 at 2:02 PM

You are a very judgemental guy. My post was in response to what this guy said,

“The man just died you f’ing a-hole. If you dont have something nice to say keep it to your damn self.”

And you decided to jump on me. F U Mr. Raysfan.

And, to put a fine point on it, Mr. Stan Musial was never ejected from a baseball game.

• raysfan1 - Jan 20, 2013 at 2:57 PM

I agree completely that Stan Musial was a great man.

Since we seem to have found that bit of common ground, I will stop there.

10. dlister29 - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Weaver is a legend, rest in piece. you and sparky can coach against each other again.

11. hoopmatch - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM

How long will it be before Orioles announce players and managers will wear Weaver’s initials on their uniform in coming season?

• randomdigits - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM

I am hoping they go with one that says Earl.

12. Caught Looking - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Sad day for baseball. Weaver was a true baseball guy and a legend of the game.

Hopefully he doesn’t start arguing up there. That’s a tough ejection.

13. larrymahnken - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Team speed, for Christ’s sake? You get goddamn little fleas on the fucking bases getting picked off trying to steal, getting thrown out, taking runs away from you? Get them big cocksuckers who can hit the fucking ball out of the ballpark and you can’t make any goddamn mistakes.

• sophiethegreatdane - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Classic interview. I know it was in jest, but still classic!

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Best interview of all time

14. schmedley69 - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:15 AM

They don’t make managers like Earl Weaver anymore. A true legend and one of the great characters of the game. RIP Earl.

15. yahmule - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Pitching, defense and three run homers. In his 17 seasons, his teams won over 100 games five times and over 90 six more.

16. jfk69 - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I am long time Yankee fan and i loved Earl Weaver. To see him come out to argue a play was worth the price of admission. Great baseball man and manager. RIP

17. halohonk - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:19 AM

RIP Earl. Bet you see a whole lotta 3 run homers in that ballpark in the sky.

18. grandmarnier0013 - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:20 AM

RIP Earl. You are a Baltimore icon and will be missed.

19. jaysfan64 - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Earl alone was worth the ticket price…not sure who got entertained more by his antics at times – the fans or the players on the field…I’ll never forget Earl forfeiting that game here in Toronto over that tarp (in Exhibition Stadium)…he was an innovator and a true competitor who just burned to win….condolences to his family, the Orioles, and their fans…

20. raysfan1 - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM

As a boy I enjoyed watching his tirades against umps almost as much as the game itself. I also learned a lot about the game from listening to his interviews–he didn’t just answer reporters with platitudes.

You will be sorely missed, Earl, RIP.

21. barrywhererufrom - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:47 AM

Another lifelong Yankees fan but we all respected the knowledge of the Earl of Baltimore! I really miss the days of Billy and Earl managing against each other. Some where the Oriole Bird should have a tear rolling down its face! RIP Mr. Weaver

22. jaysfan64 - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Earl also listed a non-playing starting pitcher as his DH (batting 8th or 9th) – by the time they’d come to bat he’d have a handle on how the opposing pitcher was throwing that day then he’d pinch hit for the DH spot accordingly…MLB ended up changing the DH rule because of that…he was like Billy Martin in that he studied the rule book (often knowing it better than the umpires which was one reason he’d blow up at the umps) until he found a loophole…then he’d drive a tank right through it..he’s also the guy who tore up a rule book on the field one day..the stories are endless…

23. tomtravis76 - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My first ever pro baseball kid as a little kid was the 1982 final game vs Brewers(still have the ticket), which was Earls last until that brief comeback.

I just spent the morning talking to my 96 year old grandfather who was an original member of the “knothole gamg” at the old Oriole park. He says Earle was the greatest.

24. mamashtaka - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:19 PM

The Earl of Baltimore . . . I was a kid back in the days of your great teams . . .Brooks, Frank, Boog, and the other greats . . . it was a thrill to watch you manage when my Dad would take me to games at Memorial Stadium . . . RIP, Earl, and may all the calls go your way.

25. sometimesimisscandlestick - Jan 19, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I was lucky enough to meet Earl on a cruise ship a few years ago. The man told some great stories and was still mad at Ron Luciano. He could really inspire his players.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3551)