Hal McCoy is looking for a ride to Reds games

Jan 19, 2013, 9:35 PM EDT

mccoy ap AP

Via Hal McCoy’s personal blog on the Dayton Daily News website:

As most of you know, I am legally blind and unable to drive. For the past five years, my friend Larry Glass has been my driver from Dayton to Cincinnati and back for Cincinnati Reds home games.

Unfortunately, Larry has some health issues and won’t be able to drive this year, leaving me with no transportation to and from Reds games.

So…is there anybody out there with nothing much to do on their hands who would like to see most of the Reds home homes this season…for free.

You get a seat in the press box next to McCoy for every home game and he will pick up the tab for gas (55 cents per mile). McCoy has covered the Reds since 1972. He coined the title “Big Red Machine.” He’s in the Hall of Fame. He won the J.G. Taylor Spink Award. Pete Rose. Johnny Bench. Joe Morgan. Barry Larkin. Ken Griffey Jr. Marge Schott. What a way to spend a summer.

1. paperlions - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Even as a Cardinal fan, if I lived in Dayton I would immediately apply for that job.

• historiophiliac - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Even as an American League fan, if I lived in Dayton I would jump at it.

• raysfan1 - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM

As a huge Reds fan when I was a kid in the 70′s, and they’re still my favorite NL team, y’all would have to get in line…if I lived in Ohio.

• DJ MC - Jan 20, 2013 at 1:02 AM

I live in Baltimore and I’m seriously considering it.

2. jerze2387 - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:31 PM

think hed accept the ride in my POS 04 saturn ion? or does it have t be a nice car with power windows and locks, and possibly non-cloth seats?

3. nddesq - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:40 PM

Reblogged this on NDD, ESQUIRE and commented:
    Man I wish I was either rich or retired. I would so take up Mr. McCoy on this offer. He is a legend for the Reds. It would be an honor to spend time with him, just asking him questions about his experiences!

4. papalurchdxb - Jan 20, 2013 at 3:18 AM

I live in Dubai and would consider moving for this. Someone is in for one heck of a treat this summer!

5. mybrunoblog - Jan 20, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Nice that he put this out there but wait. The Reds won’t pony up for a car service?

6. Kevin Gillman - Jan 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Whoever gets the job, I hope they write a book about the experience, I would buy the book.

7. mazblast - Jan 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I live in Cincy. Send me the particulars, at least for weekend games I’m willing to make two round trips in a day in order to spend that much time with the real McCoy. It would be such an honor.

Three legends off to Cooperstown