Jan 19, 2013, 5:41 PM EDT
According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Indians are nearing a minor league contract with free agent Ryan Raburn. The deal will likely be finalized next week and is expected to include a spring training invite.
Raburn, who turns 32 in April, was released by the Tigers in November after batting just .171/.226/.254 with one home run and a .480 OPS in 222 plate appearances last season. However, he smacked at least 14 homers in the previous three seasons and owns a .796 OPS against southpaws for his career.
Raburn won’t have a chance at a starting job in Cleveland, but with his experience between the infield and outfield, he could win a spot on Terry Francona’s bench.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 24
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)