Jan 19, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Indians are nearing a minor league contract with free agent Ryan Raburn. The deal will likely be finalized next week and is expected to include a spring training invite.
Raburn, who turns 32 in April, was released by the Tigers in November after batting just .171/.226/.254 with one home run and a .480 OPS in 222 plate appearances last season. However, he smacked at least 14 homers in the previous three seasons and owns a .796 OPS against southpaws for his career.
Raburn won’t have a chance at a starting job in Cleveland, but with his experience between the infield and outfield, he could win a spot on Terry Francona’s bench.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)