Jan 19, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
According to Jordan Bastian of MLB.com, the Indians are nearing a minor league contract with free agent Ryan Raburn. The deal will likely be finalized next week and is expected to include a spring training invite.
Raburn, who turns 32 in April, was released by the Tigers in November after batting just .171/.226/.254 with one home run and a .480 OPS in 222 plate appearances last season. However, he smacked at least 14 homers in the previous three seasons and owns a .796 OPS against southpaws for his career.
Raburn won’t have a chance at a starting job in Cleveland, but with his experience between the infield and outfield, he could win a spot on Terry Francona’s bench.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 91
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 27
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 257
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)