Jan 19, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
If you recall, surgery on Matt Kemp‘s left (non-throwing) shoulder in October was a bit more involved than originally anticipated, as Dr. Neal ElAttrache repaired a partially torn labrum and rotator cuff damage. This has left some doubt about whether he’ll be ready for the start of the 2013 season, but Kemp told Ken Gurnick of MLB.com today that he’s healing “ahead of schedule” and is optimistic he’ll be ready for Opening Day.
“That’s my goal,” said Kemp, wearing a Dodgers jersey with Jackie Robinson’s No. 42 and accompanied by his mother. “I’m hitting off the tee, no soft toss yet. I have my good days and bad days. It’s still a little sore. But being ready for the season is all that matters.”
Kemp conceded that he may not be 100 percent by the start of spring training and that he expects the Dodgers to take it easy with him, but he’s much more concerned about his status for the start of the season. Of course, even if Kemp is ready for Opening Day, that doesn’t mean he’ll be the same hitter right away. Look no further than Kemp’s teammate, Adrian Gonzalez, for an example of what shoulder surgery can do to a hitter’s power production. For all their big spending, the Dodgers’ lineup isn’t exactly a juggernaut, so what version of Kemp we’ll see will be an important factor in their postseason hopes.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)