Jan 19, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
Good news out of the Venezuelan Winter League.
According to Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News, Pablo Sandoval has returned to the starting lineup for Navegantes del Magallanes following a short stay in a local hospital. He was diagnosed with colitis (swelling of the large intestine) but got over the painful symptoms it was causing in just a few days.
Sandoval, a native of Puerto Cabello, Venezuela, went 8-for-35 (.229/.325/.343) during the VWL’s regular season. His team is now in the playoffs.
The 26-year-old third baseman batted .283/.342/.447 with 12 home runs, 25 doubles and 63 RBI in 442 plate appearances last year for the World Series-champion Giants. “Kung Fu Panda” owns a solid .303/.353/.490 career batting line in the major leagues.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 13
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 29
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)