Red Sox and Craig Breslow reach two-year deal to avoid arbitration

Jan 19, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT

Red Sox Rays Baseball AP

Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown reports that left-hander Craig Breslow has avoided arbitration with the Red Sox by agreeing to a two-year contract, pending a physical. He’s guaranteed a total $6.25 million while the contract includes an option for 2015. The deal could max out at $10.15 million.

Breslow requested $2.375 million and was offered $2.325 million from the Red Sox when arbitration figures were exchanged yesterday, so it was assumed that it wouldn’t take long to hammer out an agreement. The 32-year-old is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter, so the new deal buys out at least his first year of free agency.

Breslow posted a 2.70 ERA and 61/22 K/BB ratio over 63 1/3 innings last season between the Diamondbacks and Red Sox. He has compiled a 3.00 ERA over seven major league seasons.

1. uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2013 at 3:39 PM

Looks to me like whoever does the math in the Red Sox office made a big mistake here. Breslow submitted a 1 year $2.375MM figure for arbitration and the Red Sox make him a deal on a 2 year $6.25MM guarantee with a potential to make $10.15MM total over the 2 years with incentives.

• uyf1950 - Jan 19, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Sorry looks like my above post is completely off base. I glanced over the fact it’s actually 2 years guaranteed with a 3rd year option that brings the total deal including the option to just over $10MM. I fully intend to ask for a refund from Sylvan for my speed reading class. That’s a joke, but again my apologies.

• theskinsman - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Now you stop being reasonable. How can I enjoy my reading about every Red Sox signing without the obligatory ‘Another overpay by Boston’ comment from you??
        The off-season is long,let’s not be so quick to remove the entertainment reading,my friend.

2. quintjs - Jan 19, 2013 at 3:56 PM

so… its almost like a 2 year contract, taking his final arbitration-eligible season and first free agent season was planned the entire time..?

It may be a slight overpay, but its probably better than signing him for $3m and see him leaving at years end for a 3/20 contract, which is what FA relievers seem to sign for nowadays.

3. moogro - Jan 20, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Twins never should have let him go.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline