Jan 19, 2013, 3:33 PM EDT
Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown reports that left-hander Craig Breslow has avoided arbitration with the Red Sox by agreeing to a two-year contract, pending a physical. He’s guaranteed a total $6.25 million while the contract includes an option for 2015. The deal could max out at $10.15 million.
Breslow requested $2.375 million and was offered $2.325 million from the Red Sox when arbitration figures were exchanged yesterday, so it was assumed that it wouldn’t take long to hammer out an agreement. The 32-year-old is arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter, so the new deal buys out at least his first year of free agency.
Breslow posted a 2.70 ERA and 61/22 K/BB ratio over 63 1/3 innings last season between the Diamondbacks and Red Sox. He has compiled a 3.00 ERA over seven major league seasons.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Perez had a sub-2.00 ERA before recent problems.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:02 PM EDT
It’s like it’s happening in slow motion and every A’s fan is yelling “nnnnnoooooooo!”
Sep 18, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
Pedro Florimon is not a starting-caliber shortstop because he can’t hit, but his defense is good enough to make him a decent utility man at age 27.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
In pinstripes no less.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
The only thing more painful than hitting rock bottom is thinking you’ve hit it, only to find out there’s still more room to sink.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:48 PM EDT
Ron Washington asked for forgiveness. He also raised more questions than he answered.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
Among all American League hitters with at least 350 plate appearances this season Pearce ranks ranks fourth in OPS, behind only Mike Trout, Jose Abreu, and Victor Martinez.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
“You support them until you don’t support them.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:32 PM EDT
The Angels won their division in spite of all of those big free agent signings, not because of them.
Sep 18, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
After a strong first half Alex Rios has been injured and ineffective in the second half.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
There will be no more famous players.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The game of minor league musical chairs continues.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
A revealing interview of a pretty complicated dude.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
It was sudden and unexpected. Today, presumably, Ron Washington’s resignation will be explained.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Because it shows us what Jeter means to real fans. It doesn’t tell us all what we’re supposed to feel.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
And he needed only 98 pitches to do it.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:12 AM EDT
The Angels beat the Mariners 5-0 on Wednesday night in Anaheim but had to wait a while to watch the A’s blow a ninth-inning lead against the Rangers before they could officially celebrate their clinching of the American League West championship. And several thousand Angels fans waited too. MLB.com has the video …
Sep 18, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
He pushes the Cardinals one step closer to the NL Central title. And pushes the fading Brewers another game back.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:23 AM EDT
Acting wisely, not acting quickly, is the only way to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 6:37 AM EDT
The Angels clinch, the A’s clench.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 42
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)