Stan Musial: 1920-2013

Jan 19, 2013, 7:59 PM EDT

musial ap AP

Baseball’s perfect knight is no longer with us.

According to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Cardinals great Stan Musial died in St. Louis at 5:45 p.m. local time on Saturday evening. Goold says Musial was “surrounded by family” when he passed.

“Stan the Man” — a picture of poise, grace and consistency — tallied 1,815 hits at home and 1,815 on the road over the course of his 22-year major league career. The lifetime Cardinal won three World Series titles, three National League MVPs and was a first-ballot inductee into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1969.

He has a statue outside Busch Stadium and his No. 6 was retired by the Cardinals in 1963 — the same year that he stopped playing. He was given the Presidential Medal of Freedom — the highest honor that the United States government can bestow on a civilian — at the White House in February 2011.

Musial was 92.

1. umrguy42 - Jan 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM

RIP Stan. I know you’re in a better place, but the world is a little darker for losing you. :(

• okwhitefalcon - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:10 PM

The man was my fathers favorite player growing up and subsequently the reason I wore #6 for my 11 years in organized baseball.

“Here stands baseball’s perfect warrior, here stand baseball’s greatest knight.”

God damn right.

• dickclydesdale - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Stan was the greatest living ballplayer!

2. joregon - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I don’t like baseball anymore, it has become an ugly sport with drugs and ego’s.
    When I was young Stan was playing and I loved the sport.
    He was such a decent citizen maybe it is unfair to compare any player of any era against him.
    A great player, and a great human was lost today.

3. professormaddog31 - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Mr. Musial was my grandfather’s favorite player, and while I am not a Cardinals fan, I grew up with an enormous appreciation of this man’s talents, and most importantly, his good heart and golden spirit. He was truly among the best of us, and embodied all the good and great things that baseball means to all of us who love this game.

If it is possible to be underrated and still be considered one of the best of all time, Stan Musial is.

There’s a lot of sadness in my house tonight. Rest well, baseball’s perfect warrior.

4. bigharold - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Stan the Man today too, .. say it ain’t so!! You got your 3 score and then some and did better with it than most would ever do!

To a true deserving baseball icon, … HAIL AND FAIR WELL!!

• jimeejohnson - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:33 PM

What you said, bigharold!

5. youjivinmeturkey - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Reblogged this on "You Jivin' Me, Turkey?" and commented:
    :*(

6. whmiv21 - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:49 PM

First Earl, now Stan?

Today is a very sad day for baseball. RIP

• umrguy42 - Jan 19, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I’m just hoping “they always come in 3s” doesn’t hold true…

7. paperlions - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Stan playing Take Me Out to the Ballgame on the harmonica:

8. eedeeyote - Jan 19, 2013 at 10:37 PM

Number 6 on the field…..Number One in the hearts of many baseball fans. My childhood favorite….Rest In Peace, Mr. Musial!

9. gibbyfan - Jan 19, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I think I probably speak for all fans of Stan when I say that some small part of all of us and baseball itself died tonight. Upon reading this very sad news, my mind went back to all of the memories, including the most precious as young boy first seeing him in person. He was the reason I became a lifelong Cardinal fan and the number 6 became my favorite for the rest of my life. And now suddenly he is gone. I take some small measure of comfort in thinking if ther is a better place Stan will be there.

10. 6stn - Jan 20, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Just a great ballplayer and human being. No chest-thumping, look-at-me theatrics.

11. nbjays - Jan 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Baseball fans everywhere are mourning with the people of Baltimore and St. Louis over the loss of two all-time greats. Tough day for the game of baseball when you lose The Earl of Baltimore and Stan the Man in the same day. Here’s hoping that the whole “comes in threes” thing isn’t true… this is a big enough loss.

RIP gentlemen, you made the game that I love so much better by your involvement in it.

(Right now, somewhere up in heaven, Stan is graciously signing a baseball for St. Peter and Earl is kicking dirt on Ron Luciano’s shoes).

12. materialman80 - Jan 20, 2013 at 7:10 PM

A great player, one of the very best, and a great human being. They don’t make them like Stan anymore, not even close. I’m thankful I got to see him play as a boy. He was truly a hero to all Cardinal Fans.

13. marjoejones - Jan 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Most consistently dangerous hitter I ever saw. Always tagging the best pitchers like Koufax, Spahn & Drysdale.

14. stlfan - Jan 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM

A very sad weekend for St. Louis baseball. Stan the Man and Earl Weaver, who was born in St. Louis and managed the one-time St. Louis Browns aka Orioles. Two very different people tied by one common passion – baseball.

• stlouis1baseball - Jan 21, 2013 at 10:20 AM

You hit it stlfan. First Earl…and then Stan.
      St. Louis and Baltimore are certainly in mourning.
      As is all of baseball.

15. stlouis1baseball - Jan 21, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Terrible news. A sad weekend to be sure. #6′s health had been deteriorating over the last couple of years. But you never really expect (or are prepared for) an icon’s passing. It’s like they will live forever.
    Rest in Peace Stan! One of baseball’s true legends.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3941)