Jan 19, 2013, 8:56 AM EST
Justin Upton recently rejected a trade that would have sent him to the Mariners, but the Diamondbacks continue to shop him aggressively.
According to Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago, the Cubs and Diamondbacks recently discussed a possible trade involving Upton. However, talks quickly fizzled when Arizona asked for shortstop Starlin Castro in return.
Interestingly, the Cubs are also on Upton’s limited no-trade list along with the Mariners, Red Sox and Blue Jays. It’s possible that the Cubs are on there for leverage and not because he doesn’t want to play there. Either way, it doesn’t sound like the two sides are a match.
Upton, 25, has three years and $38 million left on his contract. The Rangers, Braves and Mets are among the clubs who have been linked to him recently.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)