What they’re saying about the passing of Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver

Jan 19, 2013, 12:03 PM EDT

Earl Weaver Getty Getty Images

Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver passed away yesterday at the age of 82 following an apparent heart attack. Here’s some reaction from a baseball world in mourning:

Orioles owner Peter Angelos: “Earl Weaver stands alone as the greatest manager in the history of the Orioles organization and one of the greatest in the history of baseball. This is a sad day for everyone who knew him and for all Orioles fans. Earl made his passion for the Orioles known both on and off the field. On behalf of the Orioles, I extend my condolences to his wife, Marianna, and to his family.”

Orioles manager Buck Showalter: “Every time I look at an Oriole, it’s going to be missing a feather now without Earl.”

Cal Ripken, Jr: “Earl was such a big part of Orioles baseball and personally he was a very important part of my life and career and a great friend to our family. His passion for the game and the fire with which he managed will always be remembered by baseball fans everywhere and certainly by all of us who had the great opportunity to play for him. Earl will be missed but he can’t and won’t be forgotten.”

Jim Palmer: “It was the perfect relationship. We won, he was tough, we got our World Series checks. It worked. You don’t ever forget an Earl Weaver. And not just if you were an umpire. Fans, players, everyone. Earl didn’t have the smartest guy in the room syndrome back then, but he was definitely one of them.”

Adam Jones: “Os and MLB family lost a great leader yesterday. Earl Weaver wasn’t blessed wit height but if u measured his HEART he was a 7 footer.”

Hall of Famer catcher Johnny Bench: “So sad to hear about Earl Weaver leaving our HOF family. Really enjoyed my years with him. RIP”

Commissioner Bud Selig: “Earl was well known for being one of the game’s most colorful characters with a memorable wit, but he was also amongst its most loyal.  On behalf of Major League Baseball, I send my deepest condolences to his wife, Marianne, their family and all Orioles fans.”

Credit to Roch Kubatko of MASN and Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun for some of the quotes provided above.

The Orioles held a moment of silence to honor Weaver before they began their annual FanFest event this morning. Courtesy of the Orioles’ Twitter account, the club has his jersey and a No. 4 banner of the main stage:

source:

1. kicksave1980 - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My favorite manager of my lifetime is Whitey Herzog, but Earl is right up there with him. Hopefully god doesn’t ask him when’s the best time to put in a tomato plant. RIP, Earl.

2. mclovinib - Jan 19, 2013 at 12:53 PM

The Duke of Baltimore…RIP, Earl

3. mungman69 - Jan 19, 2013 at 1:34 PM

He was great for Baltimore and great for the game.

4. cackalackyank - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Earl Weaver was truly one of the great managers during my childhood. They do not make them like this anymore. …and that is not a good thing.

5. joecool16280 - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Am I the only one who totally skips whatever is written after there is a “Bud Selig quotes” before it?

Okay, totally inappropriate place to say that but still.

• joecool16280 - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Mr. Weaver, you were before my days so I can’t comment about how or what you contributed to the game from a personal standpoint but I respect history and it seems you were a great one. Rest in peace.

6. philliesblow - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM

R.I.P. from a Tigers fan. Always enjoyed your arguments with the umps.

7. moagecu - Jan 19, 2013 at 2:33 PM

The Earl of Baltimore, not duke.

8. 4cornersfan - Jan 19, 2013 at 3:30 PM

The background on the stage in the picture looks a little like the periodic table of elements. Earl’s number should have been 79 (pure gold).

9. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 19, 2013 at 3:31 PM

World Series checks, really Jim Palmer? He dies and one of the top things you say is you got your World Series checks?

• randomdigits - Jan 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM

You have to view Palmer’s comments in context of their relationship.

There is not a doubt in my mind Palmer is hurting right now.

• alang3131982 - Jan 19, 2013 at 7:06 PM

You should really know something about what you’re commenting on. Next time, try reading Together We Were Eleven Foot Nine: The Twenty-Year Friendship of Hall of Fame Pitcher Jim Palmer and Orioles Manager Earl Weaver before talking about Palmer and his relation to Weaver. You might learn something and might understand why Palmer’s comment make sense and are somewhat funny. There is nothing wrong with a little levity. As randomdigits notes, there are few people hurting more than Palmer right now.

Get a clue or dont comment, douche bag.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 19, 2013 at 8:15 PM

I can only comment on what they give me douche bag. Then maybe I shouldn’t comment in the comments section right?

• alang3131982 - Jan 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM

i was suggesting that very thing. perhaps you should save comments for subjects you are knowledgeable about. If you dont know a thing about Palmer’s relationship with Weaver, maybe you shouldnt question his comments on Weaver’s passing.

It’s pretty evident that those who understand the dynamics of the relationship thought the quote was perfect. You could ask why Palmer said that and you would have gotten an answer. Instead you think Palmer is being insensitive, when he’s being the opposite.

I refrain from commenting on things I know little about because I dont like to look like an ass….but to each his own

10. koufaxmitzvah - Jan 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Great quote by Jim Palmer. That man is a class act.

Here’s to a life well lived.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet