Jan 20, 2013, 12:53 PM EST
Adam Wainwright is scheduled to become a free agent after the 2013 season. But it doesn’t sound like he’s going to catch a whiff of the open market.
According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, the right-hander said Saturday at the Cardinals’ annual Winter Warm-Up that he and his agent discussed the parameters of a long-term contract extension last summer with the St. Louis front office and that he felt good about the course of the conversation. “I liked where it was headed,” Wainwright told reporters.
The two sides are expected to get serious about negotiations when camp opens in Jupiter, Florida.
Wainwright, 31, owns a spectacular 3.15 ERA and 1.21 WHIP through his first seven major league seasons. He signed a very team-friendly deal before hitting arbitration so he’s probably going to want to cash in now.
Matt Cain‘s five-year, $112.5 million pact with the Giants can serve as a kind of blueprint. The Cardinals should have enough room in their budget to accommodate that — a benefit of letting Albert Pujols walk.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)