Cubs open to repairing relationship with Sammy Sosa

Jan 20, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT

sammy sosa getty Getty Images

Sammy Sosa walked disgruntledly out of Wrigley Field in the middle of his final game with the Cubs back in October 2004. He was fined $87,400 for going AWOL and the Cubs traded him before the start of the 2005 season to the Orioles for Jerry Hairston Jr., Mike Fontenot and Dave Crouthers.

The relationship between Sosa and the Cubs has been strained since that incident — and the PED stuff hasn’t helped — but it might be time to let bygones be bygones. Here’s new team chairman Tom Ricketts, speaking in front of fans and reporters Saturday at the annual Cubs Convention in downtown Chicago:

“When we got here, there wasn’t much communication and we just really haven’t focused on it,” said Ricketts. “But maybe it’s an issue we pick up this year and see what we can do about it.”

“With Sammy, it’s awkward. I think over time there will be a good solution for all this stuff. But obviously we saw what happened with the Hall of Fame voting this year. I don’t know. It would be nice to put this chapter to rest and just welcome back all the guys who were from that era who were suspected of doing whatever.”

Those quotes come courtesy of CSNChicago.com’s Patrick Mooney. Sosa hit .284/.358/.569 with 545 home runs and 1,414 RBI in his 13-year stay with the Cubs. He owns several prominent franchise records.

1. dbarnes79 - Jan 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM

White Sammy Sosa or black Sammy Sosa?

2. dayaman - Jan 20, 2013 at 4:18 PM

why??? not like they won a world series w/ him…

• ezthinking - Jan 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM

or Ernie Banks, Ron Santo, Ryan Sandberg,…..

• jwbiii - Jan 20, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I think you’d be down to Phil Cavarretta. He’s 94 and probably doesn’t travel much these days.

• jwbiii - Jan 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM

My bad. I read that as “got to a world series.”

3. dondada10 - Jan 20, 2013 at 4:20 PM

For me, the corked bat thing was where I lost respect for Sammy.

Everybody was juicing. Corking your bat is bush.

• charlescub80 - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Corking your bat is bush? An advantage that isn’t an advantage. What am I saying you ask? A corked bat does NOT make the ball travel a greater distance. Therefore, will not make you hit more home runs. I’m sure if you google it you can find it if you don’t believe me. If he wanted to increase his bat speed he just needed to use a lighter bat. However, I am not saying Sammy was the brightest bulb down the street.

• dondada10 - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yes, corking your bat is bush league. What are we arguing about?

• charlescub80 - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Sorry donda my comments flew over your head. You said you lost respect when he used a corked bat opposed to juicing. Wouldn’t it be ” BUSH league” the fact he was juicing? For example, bush league is like stealing signs, or tipping pitches. If there is no advantage how is it bush?

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Because Sosa was stupid enough to think it was giving him an advantage. Even though he was actually hurting his power by corking. Making an effort to cheat, even if it’s a complete failure is still Bush league.

• raysfan1 - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Since 1970 there have been 6 players suspended for corking bats. Others have claimed to only use them in practice. Phil Garner was never suspended but did admit using one in a game, after his career. Norm Cash also supposedly used one. A couple years ago there was a pretty convincing article on Deadspin about Pete Rose using one.

None of that says you should start respecting Sosa again. I do think though that this form of cheating may well have been a lot more common than generally known.

4. shwoogy1 - Jan 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM

Just let him come back. You and everyone else knew he was roiding when he was hitting all of those home runs and didn’t say anything then. So just let it go and let him in.

5. charlescub80 - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Isn’t it a little odd that people don’t realize baseball players have ALWAYS looked for competitive advantages? It’s as old as baseball itself. People seem to forget who put baseball back on the map. Right or wrong Sosa and McGwire can’t be wiped away like it didn’t happen. Baseball looked the other way while it was happening and is looking the other way now. I also wish it didn’t happen, it did, it’s about time time to move on.

6. historiophiliac - Jan 20, 2013 at 5:42 PM

See? They couldn’t resist the sweater.

• vallewho - Jan 20, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Sammy is using his new vampire skills. Glamoured Tom Ricketts. check.

• paperlions - Jan 21, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Exactly, same reason that historio isn’t repulsed by that sweater.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2013 at 11:56 AM

I think some little lion man is cranky cuz he can’t pull off ochre with class.

7. 11thstreetmafia - Jan 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I cheered for Sammy a lot and I can never forget that. As a Cubs fan, a long time can go by without having much to cheer for. So, yeah he juiced and apparently is kind of a weird guy but he gave us fans of the NorthSiders something to actually cheer for. At the very least, I can thank him for that.

8. djpostl - Jan 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Why bother?

The dude was a prima donna, a phony, a bad teammate and a cheat. No need to have anything to do with him.

• bobwsc - Jan 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM

wow, you played with him? tell us, what was that like?

9. mazblast - Jan 20, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Are things that bad for the Cubs that they have to reach out to this guy, a known cheater and scumbag who literally walked out on his teammates?

C’mon, I thought the signing of Theo The Boy Genius was supposed to initiate the dawning of the Age of Aquarius for the Cubs, with harmony and understanding, sympathy and trust abounding…

10. t205cobb - Jan 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM

He cheated! Don’t let him back! At LEAST not until baseball lets Pete Rose back in.

11. hojo20 - Jan 20, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Invite him to Wrigley,….to clean the urinals. That piece of trash deserves no adulation.

12. whitdog23 - Jan 21, 2013 at 7:59 AM

do any Cubs fans know how to proof-read before sending their comment? geez this is Bush League reading

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Ironical statement of the day. Is your shift key broken? Since you managed to use it for “Cubs” &, for some reason, “Bush” , I guess not. Why don’t you try it out when you start a sentence? That way when you critique the writing of others it won’t look like you barely made it out 6th grade.

• historiophiliac - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I’d make a joke that he was referring to George W. Bush literacy, but I’m pretty sure I’d hear it from a bunch of dudes on here for that.

• cur68 - Jan 21, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Fire away. You wouldn’t hear about it from anyone that mattered.

A managerial overanalysis epidemic