Former Red Sox infielder Milt Bolling dies at 82

Jan 20, 2013, 6:06 PM EDT

Milt Bolling - 1956 Topps

Milt Bolling, who spent seven years in the big leagues in the 1950s and afterwards worked for the Red Sox for 30 years, passed away Saturday in Alabama at the age of 82.

Frank Bolling, Milt’s brother and a former MLB All-Star, told al.com’s Mark Inabinett that Milt’s health had been in decline following open-heart surgery three months ago.

Milt Bolling came up with the Red Sox in 1952 and became the team’s primary shortstop a year later. He had his best season in 1954, hitting .249/.337/.358 with six homers in 370 at-bats. However, he suffered a broken elbow the following spring and missed most of the 1955 season. Primarily a part-timer after that, he was traded to the Senators in 1957. In 1958, he briefly played with little brother Frank in Detroit, appearing in 24 games for the Tigers.

“We played against each other in the big leagues, and then he came over to Detroit in 1958, and we played together as a double-play combination,” Frank said, “with me at second base and him at shortstop. We have some great tales. We had a lot of good times.”

According to Wikipedia, Bolling later served with the Red Sox as an executive assistant to owner Tom Yawkey and as an area scout based in Alabama.

Milt Bolling is survived by his wife of 60 years, Joanne, as well as four children and nine grandchildren.

1. sabatimus - Jan 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM

I believe I still have that exact baseball card somewhere :)

2. mungman69 - Jan 20, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Didn’t he play for the Red Sox last year? No? They could have used him.

3. Matthew Pouliot - Jan 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Silly me thinking that he died at Providence Hospital meant he died in Rhode Island. I’ve fixed to Alabama.

4. number42is1 - Jan 20, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Wow! Comes in 3’s is weird

• Glenn - Jan 20, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I don’t think that Mr Bolling’s death verifies your pseudoscience. My guess is that someone involved with MLB dies every day or so. If two more famous ones do, you will find a third. I just told my wife today that someone that no one knows from MLB will die today and someone will bring up the “three thing”. If someone dies tomorrow fro m MLB, does it invalidate the three nonsense?

• umrguy42 - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM