Report: Rockies sign Chris Volstad to minor league contract

Jan 20, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT

Chris Volstad Getty Images

The Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports that the Rockies have signed former first-round pick Chris Volstad to a minor league deal that will net him $1.5 million if he makes the team.

It has to be a disappointing outcome for the 26-year-old Volstad, who was originally acquired by the Royals this winter, only to be let go after the team found superior options elsewhere. While he does have a better chance of getting a rotation spot in Colorado than he would anywhere else, he doesn’t even land a major league contract here and he faces an uphill climb trying to rebuild his value in Coors Field.

Volstad debuted with the 2.88 ERA in 84 1/3 innings with the Marlins as a 21-year-old in 2008, but he’s been a¬†disappointment¬†ever since. Only in 2010, when he went 12-9 with a 4.58 ERA, was he close to being an average big-league starter. He went 5-13 with a 4.89 ERA in his last year with the Marlins in 2011 and 3-12 with a 6.31 ERA for the Cubs last season.

The Rockies are currently planning to go with Jhoulys Chacin, Jorge De La Rosa, Juan Nicasio and Jeff Francis as their top four starters, leaving Volstad, Drew Pomeranz, Christian Friedrich and Tyler Chatwood to battle for the fifth spot. According to Renck, the Rockies are still hoping to add one more veteran to the mix.

1. Old Gator - Jan 20, 2013 at 10:17 PM

If Jennifer Lopez could come back from Gigli, then Christ Volstad can come back from the Cubs.

• derklempner - Jan 20, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Of course. Because, you know, the Cubs made him bad. It wasn’t like he was already RAPIDLY heading downhill before the Cubs got their hands on him.

Bad Cubs! Bad!

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Well, you gotta figure that after a hundred years and change’s worth of futility, there’s something deeply wrong with the Cubs, with being a Cub, and with having been a Cub. My theory is that it is an infectious prion-vectored Indonesian neurological disease, related to Kuru, known as Die Vloek van die Geitbok. Perhaps you’re right – being exposed to a terrible script with an absurd premise and inane dialogue isn’t nearly as bad as picking up a prion in the communal shower. Who knows, really? Perhaps Volstad really is doomed.

• charlescub80 - Jan 20, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Wow, you didn’t see him pitch for the Marlins? When it was a huge ballpark! So I guess you mean the Marlins are Gigli and the Cubs are Jersey Girl.

• Old Gator - Jan 20, 2013 at 11:38 PM

When he pitched for the Feesh, I usually kept my eyes closed.

• derklempner - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:30 AM

When he pitched for the Feesh, I usually kept my eyes closed.

Seeing as how your comments are all over the map, I get the feeling you do the same every once in a while on this blog.

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

True. Every so often, the comments on here are at least as inane as the dialogue in Gigli or even, sometimes, Plan Nine from Outer Space (which will be returning to the big screen for one day only on January 31st, digitally remastered and colorized, at that theater near you – don’t miss it!). When that happens, yes, I close my eyes and use the little braille extrusions on my board to find the scroll-up key.

• derklempner - Jan 21, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Every so often, the comments on here are at least as inane as the dialogue in Gigli or even, sometimes, Plan Nine from Outer Space…

Hey now, let’s lay off Ed Wood. He might not be a Kerry Wood, but he’s a lot better than a Chris Volstad.

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2013 at 6:53 PM

He’s my hero. I mean, who else could have written of World War II, “And then, as suddenly as it began, the war ended”???*

If you truly love the Edster, you must read the classic biography of him, Nightmare of Ecstasy: http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Ecstasy-Life-Edward-Wood/dp/0922915245
        You don’t know the real Edward D. Wood Jr. until you do.

Your best friends didn’t tell you about this. But I did.

*Glen or Glenda

2. tuberippin - Jan 20, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Least-exciting competition for a starting spot in the bigs today.

Assuming they continue to salivate over signing Brandon Webb during his comeback attempt, they’ll be attempting to give the fifth spot in their rotation to either Pomeranz (prospect with command issues who bombed out last year), Friedrich (prospect with fly-ball issues who bombed out and got injured last year), Tyler Chatwood (semi-prospect who has been terrible with two teams), Webb, and Volstad (bombed out with the Marlins and the Cubs).

That’s without taking into consideration Jeff Francis being the 4th starter and Jorge de la Rosa being the 2nd or 3rd starter (with what, two very unimpressive starts since his return from arm surgery?).

Then again I suppose it speaks to just how bad the pitching situation in Colorado is that in the past two years, they’ve given rotation spots to Jamie Moyer and Jeff Francis.

3. dcfan4life - Jan 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Any one else quake in their boots when reading the projected Rockies starting pitchers? Ya me neither…

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Not me – but then, I won’t have my car parked just beyond the outfield fence, either.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3164)