Jan 20, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
The Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports that the Rockies have signed former first-round pick Chris Volstad to a minor league deal that will net him $1.5 million if he makes the team.
It has to be a disappointing outcome for the 26-year-old Volstad, who was originally acquired by the Royals this winter, only to be let go after the team found superior options elsewhere. While he does have a better chance of getting a rotation spot in Colorado than he would anywhere else, he doesn’t even land a major league contract here and he faces an uphill climb trying to rebuild his value in Coors Field.
Volstad debuted with the 2.88 ERA in 84 1/3 innings with the Marlins as a 21-year-old in 2008, but he’s been a disappointment ever since. Only in 2010, when he went 12-9 with a 4.58 ERA, was he close to being an average big-league starter. He went 5-13 with a 4.89 ERA in his last year with the Marlins in 2011 and 3-12 with a 6.31 ERA for the Cubs last season.
The Rockies are currently planning to go with Jhoulys Chacin, Jorge De La Rosa, Juan Nicasio and Jeff Francis as their top four starters, leaving Volstad, Drew Pomeranz, Christian Friedrich and Tyler Chatwood to battle for the fifth spot. According to Renck, the Rockies are still hoping to add one more veteran to the mix.
Aug 5, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Being unemployed at 59 isn’t usually good news. But it may be for Dave Dombrowski.
Aug 5, 2015, 8:46 AM EDT
And it wasn’t me this time!
Aug 5, 2015, 7:41 AM EDT
The Red Sox had a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning of this one. If you were watching, I hope you weren’t the type who falls asleep during the sixth inning.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT
O’Flaherty owns an ugly-looking 5.91 ERA in 25 appearances this season, but the 30-year-old has held left-handed batters to a .186/.286/.209 batting line in 2015 and a .201/.266/.263 line for his career.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Shaffer, a first-round pick in 2012 out of Clemson University, was sporting an impressive .954 OPS and 16 home runs through 55 games this season at Triple-A Durham.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Reds center fielder Billy Hamilton robbed Jason Heyward of extra bases on Tuesday night in Cincy …
Aug 4, 2015, 9:13 PM EDT
Walker was selected 24th overall back in June and later agreed to a $1.78 million signing bonus — around $314,400 under his recommended slot value.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
Jimmy Rollins received a huge ovation Tuesday evening in his first game back in Philly …
Aug 4, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Turner is having a tremendous season for the National League West-leading Dodgers, boasting a .323/.387/.563 slash line with 13 home runs, 20 doubles, and 44 RBI in 87 games.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:32 PM EDT
Tigers owner Mike Ilitch cut ties with longtime general manager Dave Dombrowski on Tuesday afternoon, but it doesn’t sound like anybody else is on the chopping block yet.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
After arriving in 2002, Dombrowski rebuilt an organization that was an utter dumpster fire.
Aug 4, 2015, 5:01 PM EDT
Martin heads back to the minors as a 27-year-old with nearly 1,500 plate appearances as a big leaguer.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
A shocking announcement from the Tigers today.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He has a strained forearm.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
No Royals were suspended.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He calls it a “hail Mary”
Aug 4, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
In between the DL stints Freeman played just 10 games.
Aug 4, 2015, 1:19 PM EDT
He played two games for the Yankees.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Incredible numbers for a 20-year-old shortstop.
Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash”
Aug 4, 2015, 11:44 AM EDT
Gregg Zaun, as always, providing a voice of reason.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)