Jan 20, 2013, 8:36 AM EDT
If the deal is finalized — and there’s no reason to think it won’t be — Batista will be given an invitation to major league spring training with a pretty favorable opportunity to claim a spot in mid-to-long relief.
Batista posted an ugly 4.61 ERA, 1.73 WHIP and 36/33 K/BB ratio across 52 2/3 innings last season between the Mets and Braves. But the Rockies have one of the worst pitching staffs in the major leagues.
Batista’s resume includes stops in Pittsburgh, Florida, Chicago, Montreal, Kansas City, Arizona, Toronto, Seattle, D.C., St. Louis, New York and Atlanta. His best year was probably 2003 with the Diamondbacks.
UPDATE, 9:13 PM: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the deal has been made official.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)