Jan 20, 2013, 8:36 AM EDT
If the deal is finalized — and there’s no reason to think it won’t be — Batista will be given an invitation to major league spring training with a pretty favorable opportunity to claim a spot in mid-to-long relief.
Batista posted an ugly 4.61 ERA, 1.73 WHIP and 36/33 K/BB ratio across 52 2/3 innings last season between the Mets and Braves. But the Rockies have one of the worst pitching staffs in the major leagues.
Batista’s resume includes stops in Pittsburgh, Florida, Chicago, Montreal, Kansas City, Arizona, Toronto, Seattle, D.C., St. Louis, New York and Atlanta. His best year was probably 2003 with the Diamondbacks.
UPDATE, 9:13 PM: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the deal has been made official.
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 28
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 91
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)