Jan 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Bedard, who turns 34 in March, posted a 5.01 ERA and 118/56 K/BB ratio over 125 2/3 innings last season with the Pirates. He actually pitched pretty well early on, compiling a 3.26 ERA over his first 12 starts, but he was knocked around to the tune of a 6.98 ERA over his next 12 before being given his release in late August.
Bedard isn’t a good bet to hold up physically, but there’s opportunity with the rebuilding Astros. A solid spring should earn him a rotation spot alongside Bud Norris, Lucas Harrell, Phil Humber and Jordan Lyles. And if all goes well, the Astros could eventually flip him for a prospect.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 31
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)