Jan 21, 2013, 8:12 PM EDT
Bedard, who turns 34 in March, posted a 5.01 ERA and 118/56 K/BB ratio over 125 2/3 innings last season with the Pirates. He actually pitched pretty well early on, compiling a 3.26 ERA over his first 12 starts, but he was knocked around to the tune of a 6.98 ERA over his next 12 before being given his release in late August.
Bedard isn’t a good bet to hold up physically, but there’s opportunity with the rebuilding Astros. A solid spring should earn him a rotation spot alongside Bud Norris, Lucas Harrell, Phil Humber and Jordan Lyles. And if all goes well, the Astros could eventually flip him for a prospect.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)