Legendary college baseball coach Ron Fraser has died

Jan 21, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT

Ron Fraser

It was a rough weekend in baseball. Add another passing to the ledger:

Ron Fraser, the longtime Miami baseball coach who won two national championships with the Hurricanes and whose innovative marketing ideas helped spark a surge in the college game’s popularity, has died …¬†Fraser led Miami to national titles in 1982 and 1985, taking the Hurricanes to the College World Series 12 times over his 30 years at the school.

Fraser retired in 1992. Overall he won 1,271 games and never had a losing season.

1. jimmymarlinsfan - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I attended his baseball camp back when the stadium still had AstroTurf . Made it quite hot in the cleats on those sunny 95 degree summer days. Very good guy, very gracious with the campers in signing autographs. Also attended the camp of his long time pitching coach Red Berry. Rip Mr. Fraser

2. stex52 - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

That was a class program for years, and still is competitive year after year. College baseball doesn’t get the love it deserves. A lot of good ball is being played there.

• sportsdrenched - Jan 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Growing up in Wichita I knew college baseball better than I knew the majors when I was a kid. When I grew up I was sad to learn that college baseball is only popular in a few pockets around country. While it has increased popularity, I still think it should be more popular than it is. Sad to hear about Frasier passing. Further more. If you’re a Basbell Old Timer…go to the Doctor right now, even if nothing is wrong.

3. raysfan1 - Jan 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

RIP to a fierce and respected competitor from a life-long Seminoles fan.

• hasbeen5 - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I’ll second that, as long as we can still laugh at their football program.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3200)