Jan 21, 2013, 5:57 PM EDT
Valverde, 34, was 49-for-49 saving games for the Tigers in 2011 and 35-for-40 last season, but the postseason meltdown that saw him give up nine runs in 2 2/3 innings, combined with some declining peripherals from the regular season, has scared away seemingly every team this winter.
Boras knows he can’t use words to sweep away Valverde’s October struggles, but he does cite workload and fatigue as a possible reason for the sudden swoon. Counting the postseason, Valverde appeared in 81 games in 2011 and 75 last season.
“Closers normally have anywhere from 58 to 62 appearances and Valverde’s just had two years where he was used a lot,” Boras told George Sipple of the Detroit Free Press. “It was a very unusual year this year, because he had so many non-save situations. He had like 31 of them, which normally they only have 17 or 18. So, it was a very unusual year.”
Those non-save situations are another thing working against Valverde this winter. He has a history of struggling without a save on the line, so contenders aren’t looking at him as a potential setup man.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:32 PM EDT
Awful news for one of baseball’s toughest customers.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:16 PM EDT
Crawford may be joining Yasiel Puig on the shelf.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Turning back into a pumpkin?
Apr 28, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Baseball takes a back seat as unrest continues in Baltimore.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
CSNBaltimore.com’s Orioles beat reporter Rich Dubroff on his experience Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Returning to Houston as a free agent on a three-year, $23 million contract, Lowrie is off to a very strong start.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
The fan was taken from Wrigley Field in an ambulance.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
In calling up Cole for his debut the Nationals bypassed Tanner Roark.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:31 AM EDT
They’re right not to be.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Note to Nori Aoki: if the ball is heading to center field against the Dodgers, you want to get back to the bag more quickly.
Apr 28, 2015, 7:21 AM EDT
The Mets continue to be Amazin’.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:17 AM EDT
Jose Reyes has been trying to play through a small crack in his left rib, but he’ll now get an extended absence.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT
The Mets are now 15-5 on the young season and already hold an eight-game lead over the Nationals in the National League East.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
The Nationals mapped out a plan that could have had Rendon make his season debut as soon as Thursday against the Mets, but that’s on hold for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
The Diamondbacks are reportedly among the potential landing spots for Saltalamacchia.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:10 PM EDT
Bailey is coming off flexor tendon surgery. Could Tommy John surgery be next?
Apr 27, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
McCarthy appears headed for season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Adam Ottavino was just named as the Rockies closer two weeks ago, but now he’s headed to the disabled list with right triceps inflammation.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
Protests and violence continue in Baltimore after the recent death of 25-year-old Freddie Gray.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:09 PM EDT
Wainwright will undergo season-ending surgery this week.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)