Jan 21, 2013, 6:57 AM EST
As a part of my friend Michael Clair’s charity blog-a-thon, I wrote about how Hall of Fame voting might — might, not definitely — be broken. But not in quite the way a lot of people have been saying over the past couple of weeks. Rather, it’s turning into weird, divisive and gridlocked politics much akin to what goes down in Congress. You can read it in its entirety over at Old Time Family Baseball. An excerpt:
Congress has always been nasty, but there were always matters which were subject to logrolling and compromise which didn’t necessarily become points on which the parties would choose to do battle. Now nearly every topic, no matter how far removed from the main planks of either party’s platform, sees the same level of polarization and combat that the bigger social issues and battles over entitlements typically occasion. I mean, lawmakers now consider basic empirical facts to be the subject of political argument for crying out loud. The previously non-political is increasingly becoming political.
Might things be heading in that direction in baseball?
Click through to see the answer to that question.
And again, it’s for a good cause. The charity blog-a-thon for which that bit was written, is to support Doctors Without Borders. It ends soon, but for the past 24 hours Michael has been running guest posts by all kinds of great baseball writers. It’s great stuff, so by all means, check it out and consider a donation.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (227)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)