Jan 21, 2013, 6:57 AM EDT
As a part of my friend Michael Clair’s charity blog-a-thon, I wrote about how Hall of Fame voting might — might, not definitely — be broken. But not in quite the way a lot of people have been saying over the past couple of weeks. Rather, it’s turning into weird, divisive and gridlocked politics much akin to what goes down in Congress. You can read it in its entirety over at Old Time Family Baseball. An excerpt:
Congress has always been nasty, but there were always matters which were subject to logrolling and compromise which didn’t necessarily become points on which the parties would choose to do battle. Now nearly every topic, no matter how far removed from the main planks of either party’s platform, sees the same level of polarization and combat that the bigger social issues and battles over entitlements typically occasion. I mean, lawmakers now consider basic empirical facts to be the subject of political argument for crying out loud. The previously non-political is increasingly becoming political.
Might things be heading in that direction in baseball?
Click through to see the answer to that question.
And again, it’s for a good cause. The charity blog-a-thon for which that bit was written, is to support Doctors Without Borders. It ends soon, but for the past 24 hours Michael has been running guest posts by all kinds of great baseball writers. It’s great stuff, so by all means, check it out and consider a donation.
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 5
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 61
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 17
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 7
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 60
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- Remembering World Series Game 7s of the past 30 years 30
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (145)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)