Jan 21, 2013, 6:57 AM EDT
As a part of my friend Michael Clair’s charity blog-a-thon, I wrote about how Hall of Fame voting might — might, not definitely — be broken. But not in quite the way a lot of people have been saying over the past couple of weeks. Rather, it’s turning into weird, divisive and gridlocked politics much akin to what goes down in Congress. You can read it in its entirety over at Old Time Family Baseball. An excerpt:
Congress has always been nasty, but there were always matters which were subject to logrolling and compromise which didn’t necessarily become points on which the parties would choose to do battle. Now nearly every topic, no matter how far removed from the main planks of either party’s platform, sees the same level of polarization and combat that the bigger social issues and battles over entitlements typically occasion. I mean, lawmakers now consider basic empirical facts to be the subject of political argument for crying out loud. The previously non-political is increasingly becoming political.
Might things be heading in that direction in baseball?
Click through to see the answer to that question.
And again, it’s for a good cause. The charity blog-a-thon for which that bit was written, is to support Doctors Without Borders. It ends soon, but for the past 24 hours Michael has been running guest posts by all kinds of great baseball writers. It’s great stuff, so by all means, check it out and consider a donation.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)