The Mets sign Pedro Feliciano

Jan 21, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

New York Mets v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

The Mets have announced that they have signed lefty reliever Pedro Feliciano to a minor league deal.

I’m assuming this is the completion of the Mets’ epic troll of the Yankees. Feliciano pitched in 86, 88 and 92 games for the Mets between 2008 and 2010, signed with the Yankees for $8 million and then missed the entirety of the 2011 and 2012 seasons with injuries.

I’m assuming he now goes in about 75-80 games for the Mets in 2013 with an ERA of about 3.10.

1. The Dangerous Mabry - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Makes a lot of sense for the Mets, due to an almost complete lack of risk here, and makes a lot of sense for Feliciano, because they love that guy in Queens. Good for both sides.

• chill1184 - Jan 21, 2013 at 1:42 PM

The dude was good but that was then. According to some minor league writers I follow some of them think the guy is pretty much shot at this point. However its really hard to get pissed about a minor league deal. If he shows some value then great if not then meh it is what it is.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM

“Meh…it is what it is”

Mets’ 2013 slogan

• Old Gator - Jan 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Great slogan, but it needs a tune. Are the Wilpoons musical?

• jwbiii - Jan 21, 2013 at 7:28 PM

It’s lousy, but what else would you expect?

2. Old Gator - Jan 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM

That’s great. They can play his version of “Light My Fire” every time he takes the field.

3. dalucks - Jan 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

The Mets should sign P Jose Valverde, P Matt Capps and Francisco Rodriguez to minor league deals before spring training.
    I still think the Mets should sign P Brian Wilson to a veteran minimum deal before spring training.

• jwbiii - Jan 21, 2013 at 4:40 PM

You write this comment frequently. While it would be nice for the Mets to have a bunch of potentially useful bullpen arms under contract for $80k, why would they agree to it? The signing of any one of these pitchers makes it incrementally more unlikely that they will be able to sign any of the others, as they will be competing for the same job(s). The signing of Feliciano has the same effect.

This “veteran minimum deal” which you speak of repeatedly does not exist.

4. dondada10 - Jan 21, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I read a stat on twitter that Pedro Feliciano ranks 15th in appearances over the last 5 seasons despite missing the last 2.

I love having Feliciano back for a 3rd time, but I don’t think he’s gonna make the team. The Mets are pretty set at LHP/LOOGY with Josh Edgin and Rob Carson. I think they’re just giving him a place to show he’s healthy with the idea that he’ll find himself on another team’s 25 man roster.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 21, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I agree. Its all lost in the overall numbers, but the Mets had several good young relievers come up late last year. With Edgin and Carson there, I can’t see Feliciano making it.

5. Jonny 5 - Jan 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM

This guy was good at shutting down Phillies left handed batters. Oh great he’s back.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate