Jan 21, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Even with Volstad in the fold, the Rockies are aggressively pursuing free agents Carl Pavano, a right-hander they have tried to acquire numerous times over the last few seasons, and Derek Lowe, a sinkerballer who has pitched well at Coors Field. The Rockies would like to finalize a deal with another veteran this week.
A lot of people have had aggressive feelings with respect to Pavano and Lowe over the past couple of seasons, but it’s mostly been the “God, I want to kill that guy” kind of aggression, and it has been on part of the fan base of the teams for which they’ve played. This whole thing in which a general manager wants them badly for his team is rather new.
Anyway, this news comes, Renck notes, after the Rockies failed to sign Kevin Correia, Kyle McClellan and Aaron Cook. I guess if you throw enough mediocre-at-best arms against the wall, some of it is gonna stick.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 11
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 46
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 49
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 44
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)