Corey Hart is getting a second opinion on his knee

Jan 22, 2013, 1:28 PM EDT

corey hart getty Getty Images

The Brewers announced last week that Corey Hart was going to have knee surgery after he developed swelling in his knee. The surgery — which was to be a debridement of his knee joint and to repair a meniscal tear – was supposed to go down this week and would have put him on the shelf for 3-4 months.

But it’s not happening. At least not yet. Hart is getting a second opinion, consulting Dr. Richard Steadman in Vail, Colorado.

I’m assuming that, since he’s in Vail, they put Hart on skis and send him down the mountain. If he successfully navigates the turns and stuff, he’s clear. If not, surgery.

1. dcfan4life - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM

You have to clean up a maniscus tear. Otherwise it affects other ligaments and cartiledge. I tore mine and finished out a soccer season anyways. That was a bad idea cuz my knee needed more cleaning up and rehabing than i would have otherwise.

2. aceshigh11 - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:36 PM

He wore his sunglasses at night and ended up banging his knee into the coffee table.

The man suffers for his coolness.

Has that joke been played to death yet?

• brewcrewfan54 - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yes that joke has been sufficiently murdered.

• davidly - Jan 22, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Yeah, what is it about MLB players having already famous names?
      Brett Butler, this guy, Paul O’Neill, Michael Jordan, Coco Crisp, Milton Bradley, Skibby MaRoo.

It’s eerie.

• brewfan130 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM

All MLB teams have a team doctor. Typically the team doctor is an orthopedic surgeon and they specialize in sports related injuries. Athletes tend to have second opinions because they want to make certain that the surgery is the best solution for their injury. Since the Dr is employed by the team, there sometimes can be concern that they’re doing whats best for the team to get the player back on the field quicker. I don’t think its really common anymore, but better safe then sorry.

There are also Dr’s out there that specialize in cutting edge techniques that no other or very few other Dr’s are trained in. The Doc that Hart was getting a 2nd opinion from had worked on Carlos Beltran’s knee and I think he was an innovator in a specific knee surgery.

• brewfan130 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:15 AM

Any word on the results of Corey Hart’s second opinion? I know Dr. Raasch, the Brewers team Doctor, had performed Hart’s surgery on Friday, but I was curious what the other Doc had said.

3. darthicarus - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I’ve never quite fully understood the 2nd opinion. I would like to believe the player/team would pick the best doctor to diagnose the injury and get his/her professional opinion & go with that. If Dr. X said I tore my ACL I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t go to Dr. Y and see if they viewed it differently just so I could play sooner. Do the players purposely choose a lesser doctor in the beginning for the hope of them diagnosing a lesser injury & then say screw it I don’t like that diagnosis I’m going to ask someone else.

Whoever that first doctor is, I have to think that Hart & the Brewers won’t be thought of very well by that office for future consultations.

• mscott4 - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:57 PM

People get second opinions all the time, athlete or not. Do you think all doctors share the same exact opinion on every single injury and the ability to play on it? I’m going to tell you right now they don’t. No two knee injuries are the same and not all meniscus tears require surgery. Depending on the type and location of tear it could be possible for a first basemen to play through it where a catcher couldn’t. And besides, the majority of us have an asymptomatic mensicus tear or some sort of fraying of the meniscus. So getting a second opinion is the smart thing to do and may allow Corey to play on the new as tolerated and wait until next offseason to have surgery on it. Corey should worry about his ability to play the game he is payed to play, not the feelings of the original doctor.

• dcfan4life - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

So you have never met a dumb doctor? Lawyer? Politician? Really? Where do you live? Sounds like its either the greatest place on earth or under a rock…

• brewfan130 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:12 AM

4. ccmf69 - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

2nd opinion…You’re ugly too….

• mazblast - Jan 22, 2013 at 10:57 PM

I see that someone besides me thought of that old Rodney Dangerfield line.

5. onbucky96 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Ugh. Corey, you’re killing us Brewer fans. Get the knee fixed and be ready by mid May. In the meantime, we’ll pretend Matt Gamel can play while Hunter Morris warms up in Nashville.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3840)