Jan 22, 2013, 11:31 AM EST
We learned yesterday that, in all likelihood, the Reds were going to get the 2015 All-Star Game. Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald notes it’s quite possible that the Marlins would have gotten the Midsummer Classic that year had Jeff Loria not called for the Marlins’ latest fire sale.
He cites team president David Samson’s comments to MLB.com last year in which he said that the Marlins were “excited to host it,” and speculates that the Marlins may have fallen out of favor with the Commissioner’s office following this offseason’s payroll slashing, fan-alienating trades. If so, Spencer notes,this wouldn’t be the first time:
The Marlins, who have been around since 1993, have never hosted one. MLB had selected the Marlins to host the 2000 All-Star Game at Sun Life Stadum but took it away from them in 1998 due to uncertainty over the future of the franchise after the ’97 World Series team was dismantled.
Doin’ a heckuva a job there, Jeffy.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)