Jan 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Paul Lukas — or rather, a reader of Paul Lukas — has a great find over at Uni Watch. A game from 1977 in which the Royals and Brewers both wore Milwuakee uniforms. Why?
A thief — or thieves — broke into the Royals’ locker room at the Milwaukee ballpark and absconded with 53 Kansas City uniforms, 20 gloves, 10 pairs of baseball shoes, and 15 warmup jackets. All but seven of the Royals were forced to wear the Brewers’ blue road uniforms.
That’s from a news story about it at the time. Lukas has some video stills of the game. He also has the best point about it: in 1977 that stuff could happen, be briefly noted and forgotten. Today: it would rule the news and the Internet and everything forever.
If you don’t believe me, just wait until the next Washington Nationals thread when someone inevitably mentions the time when the word “Nationals” was misspelled on that dude’s jersey. People still bring that up years later.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 15
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)