Jan 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Paul Lukas — or rather, a reader of Paul Lukas — has a great find over at Uni Watch. A game from 1977 in which the Royals and Brewers both wore Milwuakee uniforms. Why?
A thief — or thieves — broke into the Royals’ locker room at the Milwaukee ballpark and absconded with 53 Kansas City uniforms, 20 gloves, 10 pairs of baseball shoes, and 15 warmup jackets. All but seven of the Royals were forced to wear the Brewers’ blue road uniforms.
That’s from a news story about it at the time. Lukas has some video stills of the game. He also has the best point about it: in 1977 that stuff could happen, be briefly noted and forgotten. Today: it would rule the news and the Internet and everything forever.
If you don’t believe me, just wait until the next Washington Nationals thread when someone inevitably mentions the time when the word “Nationals” was misspelled on that dude’s jersey. People still bring that up years later.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 36
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)