Jan 22, 2013, 9:52 AM EDT
Paul Lukas — or rather, a reader of Paul Lukas — has a great find over at Uni Watch. A game from 1977 in which the Royals and Brewers both wore Milwuakee uniforms. Why?
A thief — or thieves — broke into the Royals’ locker room at the Milwaukee ballpark and absconded with 53 Kansas City uniforms, 20 gloves, 10 pairs of baseball shoes, and 15 warmup jackets. All but seven of the Royals were forced to wear the Brewers’ blue road uniforms.
That’s from a news story about it at the time. Lukas has some video stills of the game. He also has the best point about it: in 1977 that stuff could happen, be briefly noted and forgotten. Today: it would rule the news and the Internet and everything forever.
If you don’t believe me, just wait until the next Washington Nationals thread when someone inevitably mentions the time when the word “Nationals” was misspelled on that dude’s jersey. People still bring that up years later.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)