Jan 22, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has the story:
It was only a matter of time, of course, but now it’s official: Ken Griffey Jr. will be inducted into the Mariners Hall of Fame, it was announced today. The induction ceremony will take place at Safeco Field on Saturday, Aug. 10, prior to a game with the Brewers. Junior will join former teammates Alvin Davis, Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson and Dan Wilson, along with late announcer Dave Niehaus, with whom Griffey had a close relationship.
Griffey was selected first overall by the Mariners in the 1987 MLB Amateur Draft then went on to bat .292/.374/.553 with 1,843 hits, 417 home runs, 1,216 RBI and 167 stolen bases in his 13 years with the club.
“It means a lot,” Griffey told reporters Tuesday during a conference call. “It’s something you dream about. It’s the organization you get drafted by, the celebration of your career. It means a whole lot they’d think that highly of me and what I’ve done to be able to have my name up there with the rest of the guys.”
The M’s are sure to retire Griffey’s number (24) once he is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 1
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games