Jan 22, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times has the story:
It was only a matter of time, of course, but now it’s official: Ken Griffey Jr. will be inducted into the Mariners Hall of Fame, it was announced today. The induction ceremony will take place at Safeco Field on Saturday, Aug. 10, prior to a game with the Brewers. Junior will join former teammates Alvin Davis, Jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson and Dan Wilson, along with late announcer Dave Niehaus, with whom Griffey had a close relationship.
Griffey was selected first overall by the Mariners in the 1987 MLB Amateur Draft then went on to bat .292/.374/.553 with 1,843 hits, 417 home runs, 1,216 RBI and 167 stolen bases in his 13 years with the club.
“It means a lot,” Griffey told reporters Tuesday during a conference call. “It’s something you dream about. It’s the organization you get drafted by, the celebration of your career. It means a whole lot they’d think that highly of me and what I’ve done to be able to have my name up there with the rest of the guys.”
The M’s are sure to retire Griffey’s number (24) once he is inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 12
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 214
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 139
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (214)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (140)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)