Jan 22, 2013, 8:26 AM EDT
There was a memorial service held for the late Marvin Miller last night. Dozens of former players, league officials, union officials and friends of the former MLBPA leader were on hand, and the message was clear: appreciate what Marvin Miller did for the players, for the game and, man oh man, put him in the Hall of Fame.
The quote of the day came from Rusty Staub:
“Every time somebody signs one of these wonderful contracts, and there are so many of them out there, I think before they get the first check they should have to write an essay on Marvin Miller.”
Miller, passed over five times for the Hall of Fame, will once again be on the Veteran’s Committee ballot this December. My guess is that he’ll make it this time, having fallen one vote short in 2010.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29