More fun excerpts from Terry Francona’s book

Jan 22, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT

File image of Boston Red Sox manager Francona walking back to the dugout during their MLB American League baseball game against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park in Boston

Anecdotes and dirt keep leaking out about Terry Francona’s upcoming book.  Most people think it’s good fun and dishy. Others have a more negative view about Francona going public.  Either way, there are some funny things coming out.

Like this bit about Manny Ramirez in the 2004 World Series, passed along by Chad Finn of the Boston Globe:

During Game 4 of the 2004 World Series, Ramirez got into an argument in Spanish with Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina. Molina was accusing Ramirez of stealing the Cardinals’ signs.

Francona turned toward plate umpire Chuck Meriweather: “Chuck, Manny doesn’t even know our signs.”

Francona turned to Ramirez, and asked, “You don’t know our signs, do you, Manny?”

Ramirez replied, sheepishly, “No.”

Sounds about right. As does the other, far more sinister stuff about Manny and his attitude which Finn passes along. I loved watching that guy hit, but how anyone could manage him is beyond me. Kudos to Francona for doing it so long and not totally flipping out.

Oh, and in this post, Finn quotes a passage with a great Curt Schilling line about Deion Sanders as well as a funny Jeter/A-Rod juxtiposition.

I doubt the book is going to be Great Literature. But it sounds like it’s going to be a great read.

1. randygnyc - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Great little quip about Manny. Sounds right to me. Completely oblivious to what’s going on around him, but blessed with unique talents (and eventually, a good chemist)

2. cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Its worth going via the link to read all of that. Not JUST because of Tito’s book, either. Appearing on my computer view of this blog is an add for “Bad Idea” shirts featuring a very nice looking young woman with Very Nice tan lines. I haven’t yet gotten tired of looking at her in THIS add. Well she’s in another add over there with Francona’s book. Its a whole new look at her and it. Is. Spectacular. Book’s excerpts ain’t bad either.

• genericcommenter - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Adsense is personalized, dude. I have some lame software ads.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Suspected as much. Oh well. Live in hope, eh? Enjoy the book excerpts.

• buggieowens - Jan 23, 2013 at 7:19 AM

It always weirds me out a little when those personalized ads pop-up and it is my department head. I’m at home, boss, leave me alone.

3. alexo0 - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Aside from “The Wrong Stuff” by Bill Lee, has any baseball book been great literature?

• 18thstreet - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Lots of people like Veeck as in Wreck, though I don’t.

A couple that come to mind: Ball Four and Whitey Herzog’s You’re Missing a Great Game.

• badintent - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:54 PM

BALL FOUR BY JIM BOUTON. !! Come on ! Mandatory reading on the MICK and Billy

• pellypell - Jan 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, recently read it and I thought it was decent. Fictional work and an easy read.

4. sabatimus - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I don’t care how good of a read it might be, I’m not giving Shaughnessy my money.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:37 PM

A thousand times this!

• sportsdrenched - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM

That’s what libraries are for.

5. doclolly - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Manny being Manny

6. sportsdrenched - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I read the excerpt in this week’s SI. Yes, I’m getting pulled into reading this book.

As for “good” baseball books, as opposed to bathroom fodder (which is sometimes HBT, just not right now). I thought “3 Nights in August” by Buzz Bissinger was pretty good.

7. stlouis1baseball - Jan 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM

“What’s he going to do. Arm tackle me?” Hahaha! Outstanding.
    That…is Deion the football player. Great cover corner. One of the best.
    QB’s throw to the other side of the field. But anyone…and I mean…ANYONE carrying the ball is running right at him!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3407)