Jan 22, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Anecdotes and dirt keep leaking out about Terry Francona’s upcoming book. Most people think it’s good fun and dishy. Others have a more negative view about Francona going public. Either way, there are some funny things coming out.
During Game 4 of the 2004 World Series, Ramirez got into an argument in Spanish with Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina. Molina was accusing Ramirez of stealing the Cardinals’ signs.
Francona turned toward plate umpire Chuck Meriweather: “Chuck, Manny doesn’t even know our signs.”
Francona turned to Ramirez, and asked, “You don’t know our signs, do you, Manny?”
Ramirez replied, sheepishly, “No.”
Sounds about right. As does the other, far more sinister stuff about Manny and his attitude which Finn passes along. I loved watching that guy hit, but how anyone could manage him is beyond me. Kudos to Francona for doing it so long and not totally flipping out.
Oh, and in this post, Finn quotes a passage with a great Curt Schilling line about Deion Sanders as well as a funny Jeter/A-Rod juxtiposition.
I doubt the book is going to be Great Literature. But it sounds like it’s going to be a great read.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming