Jan 22, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Anecdotes and dirt keep leaking out about Terry Francona’s upcoming book. Most people think it’s good fun and dishy. Others have a more negative view about Francona going public. Either way, there are some funny things coming out.
During Game 4 of the 2004 World Series, Ramirez got into an argument in Spanish with Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina. Molina was accusing Ramirez of stealing the Cardinals’ signs.
Francona turned toward plate umpire Chuck Meriweather: “Chuck, Manny doesn’t even know our signs.”
Francona turned to Ramirez, and asked, “You don’t know our signs, do you, Manny?”
Ramirez replied, sheepishly, “No.”
Sounds about right. As does the other, far more sinister stuff about Manny and his attitude which Finn passes along. I loved watching that guy hit, but how anyone could manage him is beyond me. Kudos to Francona for doing it so long and not totally flipping out.
Oh, and in this post, Finn quotes a passage with a great Curt Schilling line about Deion Sanders as well as a funny Jeter/A-Rod juxtiposition.
I doubt the book is going to be Great Literature. But it sounds like it’s going to be a great read.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 14
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 21
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 39
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)