Jan 22, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Anecdotes and dirt keep leaking out about Terry Francona’s upcoming book. Most people think it’s good fun and dishy. Others have a more negative view about Francona going public. Either way, there are some funny things coming out.
During Game 4 of the 2004 World Series, Ramirez got into an argument in Spanish with Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina. Molina was accusing Ramirez of stealing the Cardinals’ signs.
Francona turned toward plate umpire Chuck Meriweather: “Chuck, Manny doesn’t even know our signs.”
Francona turned to Ramirez, and asked, “You don’t know our signs, do you, Manny?”
Ramirez replied, sheepishly, “No.”
Sounds about right. As does the other, far more sinister stuff about Manny and his attitude which Finn passes along. I loved watching that guy hit, but how anyone could manage him is beyond me. Kudos to Francona for doing it so long and not totally flipping out.
Oh, and in this post, Finn quotes a passage with a great Curt Schilling line about Deion Sanders as well as a funny Jeter/A-Rod juxtiposition.
I doubt the book is going to be Great Literature. But it sounds like it’s going to be a great read.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)