Jan 22, 2013, 2:06 PM EDT
Anecdotes and dirt keep leaking out about Terry Francona’s upcoming book. Most people think it’s good fun and dishy. Others have a more negative view about Francona going public. Either way, there are some funny things coming out.
During Game 4 of the 2004 World Series, Ramirez got into an argument in Spanish with Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina. Molina was accusing Ramirez of stealing the Cardinals’ signs.
Francona turned toward plate umpire Chuck Meriweather: “Chuck, Manny doesn’t even know our signs.”
Francona turned to Ramirez, and asked, “You don’t know our signs, do you, Manny?”
Ramirez replied, sheepishly, “No.”
Sounds about right. As does the other, far more sinister stuff about Manny and his attitude which Finn passes along. I loved watching that guy hit, but how anyone could manage him is beyond me. Kudos to Francona for doing it so long and not totally flipping out.
Oh, and in this post, Finn quotes a passage with a great Curt Schilling line about Deion Sanders as well as a funny Jeter/A-Rod juxtiposition.
I doubt the book is going to be Great Literature. But it sounds like it’s going to be a great read.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)