R.A. Dickey is off to India to aid an anti-human trafficking organization

Jan 22, 2013, 6:48 AM EST

Toronto Blue jays pitcher R.A. Dickey speaks during a news conference in Toronto

Remember the “R.A. Dickey is a self-promoter” meme from December? That was crystallized in this Ken Davidoff column in the New York Post?

Dickey can be a handful. He clearly has enjoyed his rise from the ashes into a Flushing folk hero, and while he deserves praise and riches, there’s also the matter of him having to coexist peacefully in a workplace. His gift for self-promotion and his love of attention don’t endear himself to most teammates.

Well, that egocentric self-promoter is at it again!

Typical Dickey. “Me, me, me.” God.

1. proudlycanadian - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM

So Dickey has other interests besides baseball. Good for him.

2. crankyfrankie - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM

This is a very admirable thing that he is doing.

3. yankeepunk3000 - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM

that’s bastard! good thing they traded him away! who needs this wanna be hero anyways?! Oh well probally those girls he helps and saves will have good things to say about him…and the families…and the government. but who else huh!!! probally me too…big respects Dickey Mets you guys just don’t know what your doing right now.

• dan1111 - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I agree with 90% of what you said. However, don’t confuse the ranting columnist that Craig quoted with the Mets’ management. There is no evidence that the Mets actually believe anything like that. They probably traded him because they are in rebuilding mode, and prospects would be more useful to them at this point.

• kevinbnyc - Jan 22, 2013 at 12:20 PM

The Mets “leaked” some pretty lousy information about him on his way out the door…so I don’t think they’re entirely innocent.

• chill1184 - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Zzzzzzz Anything original than just parroting Mike Fatcesa and Micheal Kay?

• yankeepunk3000 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I don’t know what you mean by that so i’m going to say no. Never heard them before but anyways always gotta be drinking that haterade people. why WHY???

4. rdillon99 - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM

It is really easy to root for this guy, isn’t it.

5. dondada10 - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Mets fans always need an AL team to root for after we get eliminated (~June). It used to be the Red Sox until they got all douchey on us.

Toronto, it is.

6. thebadguyswon - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Dickey is a great guy for sure. But Yankees fans telling us the Mets don’t know what they’re doing is rich. They got an absolute HAUL for the guy, a 38 year old, coming off a career year. The Mets werent going to contend anyway in 2013.

Meanwhile Arod will get 30M a year for another 5 years. What was that again?

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:21 AM

You know, for compliment or detraction, the Yankees don’t have to be mentioned on *every* post.

Cheers to Dickey as an individual, because what he does for a living has little or nothing to do with a good willed act like this.

• yankeepunk3000 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

LOL I’m just saying the owners continue to cheapen the team and can’t afford good players and the Mets Continue to lose season in and season out. Though I agree that the A-rod deal was beyond a BOTCH and I hated it since day 1, i’m still happy with my team and since they have made the playoffs every year since 95 only missing 08, and winning 5 titles in that span. I think they’re doing SOMETHING RIGHT? or am I wrong my angry friend.

P.S. and please dont say because of money because all those big wins in the 90’s were from the farm system AKA Jeter, Williams, Rivera, Pettite, Posada, and so on. thank you and good night america! and Canada!

• heyblueyoustink - Jan 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Read what I wrote again, only use the Homer Simpson voice in your head. It’ll sound more like how I was thinking rather than angry.

• tmarlin1221 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM

ya, mets have how many straight offseason championship trophies while the yanks have won it all how many times since the mets last one ?

7. historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM

Wait. “That these women would see there is a different way to live…” What?

• dan1111 - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:13 AM

I am confused by your confusion.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Yeah, there’s no way I’m following up on that comment. You gentlemen have a nice day.

• professormaddog31 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:13 AM

I’m not sure why you’d be against someone trying to guide people out of a life of sex slavery when they feel they have no other option?

• professormaddog31 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:14 AM

Hopefully I’m just reading your comment wrong? *wishes desperately for edit button*

• yankeepunk3000 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I think he means if these women are choosing to live this life? or are they forced into it. I’m pretty sure the Latter but after being so brainwashed they see no way out, so maybe he helps catch these women and help them know there are other better ways to live.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Dudes, just stop. You’re making it worse.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Nah. Dudes don’t stop making it worse. Its part of our charm.

I guess RA needs a few more characters to flesh out that thought. Its a statement that could be taken a couple different ways. BUT, given that he’s working on stopping human trafficking, perhaps we can give him the benefit of the doubt?

“Please pray for us and our trip. That these women, who are forced to live like this would see that there is a different way to live. That we would be able to serve in a way…”

When life seems to conspire against you its easy to believe that life is about victimization and pain, I guess. Feeling like you HAVE no other choice is the worst. Part of working with people in these circumstances is helping them get access to choices, chances to escape, and an end to it happening to others like oneself.

Ultimately, whatever he believes, he’s trying to do the right thing for a really good cause. Tip O’ The Cap to him.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM

It’s still a fail, Cur. You’re putting lipstick on a Palin.

Maybe you guys should go to the charity website and read more about it too.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Given the nature of the undertaking, I prepared to lipstick that Palin till the cows come home. Also, I guess you haven’t been to the website in some time, either. Its down for maintenance. Has been for a while.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 1:02 PM

That’s funny. When I googled it this am, I got something.

I used to think well of Dickey, but not so much after this.

8. aceshigh11 - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I have to admit, the title of this post threw me a bit.

At first glance, it read it as Dickey aiding a trafficking organization that is anti-human.

9. chill1184 - Jan 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

How can anyone hate Dickey is beyond me. If anything Dickey is the anti-diva athlete

10. tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:00 AM

What a braggart.

MY girls. WE are going to India. Pray for US. Hopefully WE can help.

How about talking about something else once in awhile.

• dan1111 - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Can you believe how Craig used his time machine to go forward in time and steal your joke idea, so that he could use it as the punchline of his post?

The nerve.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Just reinforcing it with the specific references.

11. jaybird22seven - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I wish there were more athletes like R.A. Dickey in the world. What a class act. Thanks R.A.

12. jeffbbf - Jan 22, 2013 at 10:11 AM

“The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.”
    ― John Wooden
    I’m torn between seeing a person advertise the fact that he’s doing something good and the fact that this is an issue that could use all the awareness and attention it can get.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Fame has its uses. For the famous doing this sort of good work, it seems that using one’s celebrity naturally leads to more fame. Beats THE HELL out of getting more famous by schtupping the latest starlet and being seen at the latest fad thing. Given the amount of useless twitting that goes on around that last, its nice to see that the medium can be used to do something worthwhile, too.

• stex52 - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Also an opportunity to advertise the issue at hand. I don’t know anything about the organization named or what makes it controversial. But human trafficking is certainly one of the greatest evils about in the world today. If one feels strongly about it, then using one’s celebrity to talk about it certainly seems to be a good thing to do.

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Agreed. I really don’t care what he believes in, I guess. Are his beliefs doing any harm? Are his actions and the publicity he generates for a worthy cause doing some good? I come up with a “no” and “yes” to those answers based on available evidence (Unintended consequence: I think all the traffic Craig’s generated with this post has crashed The Bombay Teen Challenge website!). Given that reality trumps perception, I’ll go with “promote the hell out of what you’re doing, RA”.

13. El Bravo - Jan 22, 2013 at 10:20 AM

R.A. Dickey is a tough guy.

14. Old Gator - Jan 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

I assume he’ll be writing dispatches akin to what he sent down from Kilimanjaro. I’ll be looking forward to them – and hoping he doesn’t resort to a hack editor to water down his rich and engaging natural prose like he did for his book.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester