Ruben Amaro: Delmon Young to be the Phillies everyday right fielder

Jan 22, 2013, 4:33 PM EST

In the Delmon Young thread I said that it looked like this move will block Domonic Brown in right field.  In the comments several people told me I was stupid, and that the Phillies would only use Young as a pinch hitter or a left fielder or a replacement footman in the event someone else on the staff was called to war and we wanted to avoid having ladies serving in the main dining room or some such. The Phillies would never just put Delmon Young in right field, right?

Well, about that:

Wowzers. Then again, if you have an arm like this, you have to put it in right:

source:

I’m assuming at this point that Domonic Brown had an affair with Ruben Amaro’s wife or something. It’s the only possible explanation.

1. Jeremy T - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Friggin ridiculous

• dcfan4life - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Michael Morse, Manny Ramirez, and Delmon Young. Am i missing anyone else that played everyday and couldnt get an outfield assist even if they were throwing out a catcher tagging on a short fly ball?

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Johnny Damon

• senatorsguy - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:59 PM

As a Twins fan, I would just like to let you know that if you think Delmon’s arm is bad – wait ’till you see him try to run 10 feet to catch a pop fly….

• captainwisdom8888 - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Phil’s fan here. I’m still waitin on when we clear Howard utley Rollins contracts and free up 75% of our cap space for anything that isn’t 32 years old

2. skerney - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

This gif made me look at the sky and thank god he made Gregor Blanco.

3. El Bravo - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I haven’t finished laughing at the signing yet, Craig. Slow down. I can’t process this wonderful information that quickly.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Can’t you hear Craig giggling?

4. tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I don’t think Ruben Amaro knows what “ideally” means.

• Francisco (FC) - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I do not think it means what he thinks it means.

• explodet - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I think you’re mistaking Ruben Amaro with someone with competent ideals.

• paperlions - Jan 22, 2013 at 6:46 PM

Ideally, if you are a philly fan, that is exactly what you are hoping.

5. djjackson81 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

What an arm man Phili scored

6. notoriousbri - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:47 PM

Craig writes “It’s the only possibly explanation.”

Is that Olde English? Or are you just drinking it when you write these things..

Funny GIF though..Even funnier idea by RAJ Right Field? everyday?

7. tc4306 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Delmon Young and Michael Young playing every day?
    Yikes!
    Won’t be any Phillies pitchers on my fantasy teams this year.

8. tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Seriously, he throws exactly like my wife.

Only she’s not fat….and 3 out of 4 times the ball would have actually hit the shortstop regardless of where he was aiming.

• chadjones27 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

He’s not fat. He’s big boned.

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

He has the biggest roundest face bone I have ever seen.

• chadjones27 - Jan 22, 2013 at 11:48 PM

I gave someone a face bone once

9. paint771 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Is he batting third?

10. sleepyirv - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Hey for every run Young gives up with his arm he’ll give away 3 as a hitter!

Oh wait, that would be a bad thing.

11. schlom - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Well by saying “ideally” it’s not certain that he is really going to be the everyday starter. More like “Ideally he hits 330/360/550 so he is worth playing everyday.”

• tfbuckfutter - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:52 PM

He should be taking more walks.

12. deathmonkey41 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I don’t think having an affair with someone’s wife could cause this type of slight…I think he also kicked his dog and shaved his cat.

13. Jeremy Fox - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Just for comparison with the gif in the post, here’s a gif showing Domonic Brown’s arm:

[sobs]

• cur68 - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Wow. Brown can really throw. And Young really can’t. Um…there, there, it’ll be ok?

14. Phillies Homer - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

I feel very trolled today. Usually I log in 0 times a day. This is the second time you are forcing me to log in!

Anyways… yea, ideally… so, spring training he will start every day. Then everyone realizes that he’s still fat, slow, and can’t throw and Mayberry, Revere, and Brown are the opening day starters.

For $750k it’s not bad gamble to hope he starts hitting for power again in a hitter friendly park. But, I’m very confident in saying he will not be our everyday starter come the start of the season if he gets off to a slow offensive start in spring training.

15. bluesnats - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Rizzo’s off season just gets better and better.

16. chadjones27 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Reminds me of that father and son having a catch in the front yard VW commercial.

17. kingjoe1 - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:04 PM

Brown will never be a successful major league player. I love the idea of looking at Young, who does have some pop. HR potential is what the Phillies need. Why people clamor for D Brown is beyond me. Good move Amaro.

• jonrox - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I’d be happy to take him off your hands for either of my teams…

18. historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:05 PM

It hurts to re-watch that. Good riddance.

19. phillyphannn83 - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

apparently Craig doesn’t know what “ideally” means. Your headline makes it sound like its a definite thing while RAJ’s comment means its up for grabs. Way to twist someones words around CC, then again, you’re in the press and that what the press does best.

On another note, that’s the worst throw I’ve ever seen. He better not be in the field everyday.

• El Bravo - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:19 PM

It sounds to me like you don’t know what ideally means, because it sure as heck does not mean “up for grabs” in any context. Ideally, in this case, means that RAJ would prefer him in RF every day. If for whatever reason he can’t play there every day, well then, that is not ideal according to RAJ. As a Braves fan, ideally, I’d like to see the ideals of Mr. RAJ come to fruition.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Wow. You just tried to disagree with me and wound up solidifying my point. My point was that “ideally” is not a term used to describe something definitive, which is the way Craig used it to write his headline. Your sentence stating that RAJ would “prefer” him to play everyday in right also is not a definitive statement and also reiterates my point that Craig twisted RAJ’s words to be something definitive, which it was not. There is absolutely no way you can possibly look at what RAJ said and take it the way Craig wrote it, that Young WILL be the everyday starter in right field. The fact that it is NOT a definite, means, you guessed it Braves trolls, that its up for grabs! RAJ may prefer that he’s the everyday starter, but it is not a definitive declaration that he will be.

English classed dismissed.

• ptfu - Jan 22, 2013 at 9:49 PM

When the boss says “Ideally X will happen,” it’s amazing how often everyone below them works to make X happen. This isn’t about parsing grammar. This is about Charlie Manuel reading the writing on the wall–or on Twitter–and keeping his job by penciling Delmon Young into RF every day. If you don’t follow your boss’ explicit preferences, you’ll be looking for a new job soon, and Ol’ Chollie’s no fool.

The Phillies’ everyday RF job is now Delmon Young’s to (almost surely) lose.

20. pkers - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Wait, does this mean Delmon Young is going to marry Lady Sybil?

21. timpaz - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Sadly, this team is going nowhere

22. irishphilly87 - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Craig is like a gossip column. No stats? He hit 18 home runs and 74 rbi’s batted .267 thats a jroll and ryan howard BA…. 110 rbis in 2011. The guy has potential. Also had a monster playoff for the Tigers but all that is irrelevant to Craig he just writes gossip stories. I’m going out on a limb and saying he’ll hit 23 homers and 80 rbis.

• cw2121 - Jan 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Here are a few stats:

Delmon Young had 64 RBI in 2011. I know you probably meant his 112 in 2010, but let’s be honest: his 2011 is much more representative of his career as a whole and his probable 2013 campaign.

Delmon Young has only once hit over 20 HRs in his career, again in his incredible outlier 2010 season, making 23 quite a limb to go out on.

Delmon Young walked only 3% of the time in 2011, making has .267 BA pretty worthless because his OBP was sub-.300. If you’re gonna walk 3% of the time, you had better hit about .330.

Delmon Young has been an above-average hitter in only one full MLB season (by WRC+). Otherwise, he consistently fails to be even middling.

Delmon Young stole zero bases last season, eight in has last four seasons, and is a terrible, terrible fielder (see above). This means his below-average bat is about all he brings to the table.

23. joejaws75 - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Craig your a complete jerk.

24. xmatt0926x - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:51 PM

I’m a Phillies fan and hope like hell that this fat slob Delmon Young falls flat on his face. I’m not a big believer in Dom Brown but I think it’s a certainty that he has better potential to produce than Young. I also have no faith in any move Amaro makes and I’ve been saying this forever. He’s just an awful GM and his “era” will be looked on with scorn by Phillies fans 10 years from now. I really think this is all just good, temporary fodder for Phillies haters because when amaro see’s this slug in right field for a couple weeks this spring someone will slap him across the face and make him switch back to Brown. Then again, just the fact that they’ve made this embarassing declaration shows how far Dom Brown has fallen. This move is so absurd that I almost begin to think that Ruben is saying this just to light a fire under Brown.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 22, 2013 at 6:43 PM

It is a move to light a fire under Brown.

25. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 22, 2013 at 5:53 PM

So what is the downside? Delmon Young will either earn a spot, or will be cut. That is the point of a $750K contract.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4440)
  2. M. Kemp (3590)
  3. M. Cabrera (2856)
  4. M. Morse (2531)
  5. J. Kang (2368)
  1. J. Upton (2353)
  2. C. Headley (2139)
  3. A. Rios (2110)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (1825)
  5. J. Peavy (1789)