Jan 22, 2013, 2:40 PM EDT
For as long as I can recall, Sandy Koufax has shown up at Mets spring training to do a little coaching of Mets pitchers and a little meet-and-greet kind of thing each year. This owing to his friendship with Mets owner Fred Wilpon.
I wonder if that’s all over, because the Los Angeles Dodgers announced today that Koufax has been hired as a special assistant to chairman Mark Walter, to work with Dodgers pitchers in Spring Training and to serve as a consultant throughout the year.
A nice move for the Dodgers, both substantively and for p.r. purposes, and, with all due respect to the Mets, a much more appropriate team for Sandy Koufax to associate himself with each spring.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)