Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: It actually happened. Here’s our post.
10:52 AM: This is proof that God exists and wants me to be happy. From Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
Sources tell CSNPhilly.com that the Phils are seriously considering signing free-agent Delmon Young. Amaro, who typically keeps matters of free-agency close to his vest, did not deny that. “We’ve kicked around a lot of stuff,” he said. “He’s among them.”
Young hit .267/.296/.411 with 18 homers and 74 RBI in 574 at-bats last season, which simply does not cut it for a guy with close to zero defensive value.
As it stands right now, the Phillies outfield would be Darin Ruff, Ben Revere and Domonic Brown. Frankly, I’d try my chances with those guys before giving any money to Young. If they don’t work, there will likely be someone like him freely available — or close to freely available — after the season begins. Maybe even him.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29