Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: It actually happened. Here’s our post.
10:52 AM: This is proof that God exists and wants me to be happy. From Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
Sources tell CSNPhilly.com that the Phils are seriously considering signing free-agent Delmon Young. Amaro, who typically keeps matters of free-agency close to his vest, did not deny that. “We’ve kicked around a lot of stuff,” he said. “He’s among them.”
Young hit .267/.296/.411 with 18 homers and 74 RBI in 574 at-bats last season, which simply does not cut it for a guy with close to zero defensive value.
As it stands right now, the Phillies outfield would be Darin Ruff, Ben Revere and Domonic Brown. Frankly, I’d try my chances with those guys before giving any money to Young. If they don’t work, there will likely be someone like him freely available — or close to freely available — after the season begins. Maybe even him.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 76
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)