Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: It actually happened. Here’s our post.
10:52 AM: This is proof that God exists and wants me to be happy. From Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
Sources tell CSNPhilly.com that the Phils are seriously considering signing free-agent Delmon Young. Amaro, who typically keeps matters of free-agency close to his vest, did not deny that. “We’ve kicked around a lot of stuff,” he said. “He’s among them.”
Young hit .267/.296/.411 with 18 homers and 74 RBI in 574 at-bats last season, which simply does not cut it for a guy with close to zero defensive value.
As it stands right now, the Phillies outfield would be Darin Ruff, Ben Revere and Domonic Brown. Frankly, I’d try my chances with those guys before giving any money to Young. If they don’t work, there will likely be someone like him freely available — or close to freely available — after the season begins. Maybe even him.
- Hanley Ramirez exits game with apparent arm injury 0
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 11
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)