Jan 22, 2013, 10:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: It actually happened. Here’s our post.
10:52 AM: This is proof that God exists and wants me to be happy. From Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com:
Sources tell CSNPhilly.com that the Phils are seriously considering signing free-agent Delmon Young. Amaro, who typically keeps matters of free-agency close to his vest, did not deny that. “We’ve kicked around a lot of stuff,” he said. “He’s among them.”
Young hit .267/.296/.411 with 18 homers and 74 RBI in 574 at-bats last season, which simply does not cut it for a guy with close to zero defensive value.
As it stands right now, the Phillies outfield would be Darin Ruff, Ben Revere and Domonic Brown. Frankly, I’d try my chances with those guys before giving any money to Young. If they don’t work, there will likely be someone like him freely available — or close to freely available — after the season begins. Maybe even him.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)