Jan 22, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
My prayers have been answered:
Delmon Young has agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract with the Phillies.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) January 22, 2013
I think this was a masterful move by Ruben Amaro. With Young in the fold, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley will once again — by comparison anyway — look like their former MVP-caliber selves. And, on a personal note, this is quite the accomplishment for Amaro inasmuch there were probably many people out there doubting that he could find any possible way to continue to block Domonic Brown. Well, Ruben showed them. He showed them good. Next year he’ll block Brown with an inanimate carbon rod.
Seriously, though: Delmon Young is a free agent who hit
22 18 home runs last year yet is making Mark DeRosa money. Heck, he’s making first-year arbitration-eligible player money. You may beat the “hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270″ drum all you like, but Major League Baseball just valued this guy at $750K, and that has to tell you something about what to expect.
UPDATE: For those of you saying that Domonic Brown won’t be blocked or that Delmon will only be a pinch hitter or bat boy or something:
Amaro: Young will play RF.
— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) January 22, 2013
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 28
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 15
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29