Jan 22, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
My prayers have been answered:
Delmon Young has agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract with the Phillies.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) January 22, 2013
I think this was a masterful move by Ruben Amaro. With Young in the fold, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley will once again — by comparison anyway — look like their former MVP-caliber selves. And, on a personal note, this is quite the accomplishment for Amaro inasmuch there were probably many people out there doubting that he could find any possible way to continue to block Domonic Brown. Well, Ruben showed them. He showed them good. Next year he’ll block Brown with an inanimate carbon rod.
Seriously, though: Delmon Young is a free agent who hit
22 18 home runs last year yet is making Mark DeRosa money. Heck, he’s making first-year arbitration-eligible player money. You may beat the “hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270″ drum all you like, but Major League Baseball just valued this guy at $750K, and that has to tell you something about what to expect.
UPDATE: For those of you saying that Domonic Brown won’t be blocked or that Delmon will only be a pinch hitter or bat boy or something:
Amaro: Young will play RF.
— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) January 22, 2013
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 52
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)