Jan 22, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
My prayers have been answered:
Delmon Young has agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract with the Phillies.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) January 22, 2013
I think this was a masterful move by Ruben Amaro. With Young in the fold, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley will once again — by comparison anyway — look like their former MVP-caliber selves. And, on a personal note, this is quite the accomplishment for Amaro inasmuch there were probably many people out there doubting that he could find any possible way to continue to block Domonic Brown. Well, Ruben showed them. He showed them good. Next year he’ll block Brown with an inanimate carbon rod.
Seriously, though: Delmon Young is a free agent who hit
22 18 home runs last year yet is making Mark DeRosa money. Heck, he’s making first-year arbitration-eligible player money. You may beat the “hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270″ drum all you like, but Major League Baseball just valued this guy at $750K, and that has to tell you something about what to expect.
UPDATE: For those of you saying that Domonic Brown won’t be blocked or that Delmon will only be a pinch hitter or bat boy or something:
Amaro: Young will play RF.
— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) January 22, 2013
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (117)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)