The Phillies sign Delmon Young

Jan 22, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT

My prayers have been answered:

I think this was a masterful move by Ruben Amaro. With Young in the fold, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley will once again — by comparison anyway — look like their former MVP-caliber selves.  And, on a personal note, this is quite the accomplishment for Amaro inasmuch there were probably many people out there doubting that he could find any possible way to continue to block Domonic Brown. Well, Ruben showed them. He showed them good. Next year he’ll block Brown with an inanimate carbon rod.

Seriously, though: Delmon Young is a free agent who hit 22 18 home runs last year yet is making Mark DeRosa money. Heck, he’s making first-year arbitration-eligible player money.  You may beat the “hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270″ drum all you like, but Major League Baseball just valued this guy at $750K, and that has to tell you something about what to expect.

UPDATE: For those of you saying that Domonic Brown won’t be blocked or that Delmon will only be a pinch hitter or bat boy or something:

Yup.

1. Francisco (FC) - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

David Montgomery: Ruben, when I told you the team needed to get Young, this is NOT what I was talking about!

2. philliesblow - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tuberippin - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:31 PM

Very insightful comment. I learned a lot.

3. historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

Craig must have been a very, very good boy cuz Santa brought him SOMETHING for 2013!

4. kingvorp - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:05 PM

hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270….no but seriously fire rube.

5. thebadguyswon - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

WOW. Enjoy that Philly and Philly Jews.

• misterchainbluelightning - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

You would have done better with “Enjoy that Philly and the Jewish community in Philly.” Unless you were shooting for abrasive.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

My bad….Jewish community in Philly

6. ryanrockzzz - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

LOL oh man. The only reason I can’t really hate this is becuase it’s such a low risk deal. But man, this guy is an AWFUL person and is even worse in the OF. Something tells me he’s a bat off the bench at best by the end of spring.

7. albertmn - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Just when Ben Revere thought he would never have to cover extra ground in the OF for Delmon again….

8. joerymi - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Young will go through decent offensive stretches, so he has some value. But the idea that he would be playing anywhere but DH is rather scary.

And just remember, before we destroy teams like the Royals for dealing a Wil Meyers, Delmon Young was once the top rated prospect in baseball. Not saying Meyers will flop, but Delmon Young is always my first thought when I hear of some young stud prospect coming up.

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM

“My prayers have been answered”

Your prayers were to have the Phillies have Delmon Young as a PH, and/or cut March 22nd?

1 yr, $750K….in other words, half what they paid Thome last year. Hmmmmmm…..doesn’t look like they expect much

10. alexo0 - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Seems like RAJ is trolling his own fans.

11. number42is1 - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

well done Craig!

12. chadjones27 - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

Is it me, or did the signing of 2 Youngs actually INCREASE the average age of the roster?

13. misterchainbluelightning - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Any former ESPN message board posters here? Ohhhh how Twincities? used to tell everyone that Delmon was a top 10 player in MLB. He went on and on about it for 2 years. Mercy me those were the days.

• phillyphever - Jan 22, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Don’t remember him, but I haven’t been on that cesspool in 3 years.

14. macjacmccoy - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

actually he bats .284

15. darthicarus - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Just need to find out that Delmon is in the Best Shape of His Life & this will be a perfect signing.

• historiophiliac - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Oh, man, I almost choked laughing when I read that.

16. macjacmccoy - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM

The Phillies signing Delmon Young is funny …. whats even funnier is that he will probably out play Dan Uggla

• indyralph - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

I guess maybe Phillies fans find this funny. I find it funny that Young will *probably* be better than me, although it depends on your definition of *probably* – I had the higher fWAR in 3 of the last 6 years. He will *almost definitely not* out play Uggla.

17. Phillies Homer - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I really don’t think this is a bad signing for 750k. He’s probably only going to get the occasional spot start. I don’t see him starting over Mayberry, Brown, or Revere … or even Ruf. So, he’s a decent bat off the bench, worst case scenario. Best case scenario is he hits a few dingers in a hitter friendly park which causes some AL teams to inquire about obtaining his services.

Now if they paid him 1-2+ million and the expectation was that he was going to be an everyday starter, then I think this would be more troll-worthy and would upset more Phillies fans.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I too do not think this is a big signing or a big deal – he isn’t even earning Ross Gload cash, they just have him to keep things competitve in spring training. That said “worst case scenario” would have a lot more to do with attitude then just being a PH!

18. lroc20 - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Craigs comment about blocking Dom Brown is just foolish. Then again its Craig and he is just a hater. Delmon will be a ph and fill in guy

• philsphilsphils - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:50 PM

He would be blocking Ruf. Neither Ruf or D. Young can play RF. This won’t affect Brown unless he gets hurt or just sh*ts the bed during ST.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Exactly – D. Young blocking Brown means you are saying Ruf is a shoe in to make the team. Don’t get me wrong, that may ultimately be the case. But sitting here in January, anyone who has already given Ruf a spot on the roster has no clue what they are saying.

19. dalucks - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

That is the exact contract I would have given Delmon Young if I was the GM of the Mets. I have been saying the Mets should sign him to a 1 year veterans minimum contract for over a month now.
    That is a good deal and I hope the Mets take my advice on Ps Brian Wilson, Matt Capps, Jose Valverde, and Francisco Rodriguez. The closer we get to spring training, the easier it will be to sign those guys to veteran minimum deals.

20. sargespeak - Jan 22, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Has Ruben Left the tribe??? He was Jewish once before.

• El Bravo - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Wait, Ruben plays for the Indians?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

1995 just called, and said the answer is yes

21. dkphilly1122 - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Worst signing by RAJ. That said I love all the trolls and especially Craig’s comments as a Braves fan. Than again what can you really expect from Craig, he’s a Phillies hater and a Braves “explicit” eater.

22. El Bravo - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

There’s nothing kosher about this move whatsoever.

23. andyreidisthegoat - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:18 PM

That explosion you heard was the phillies clubhouse blowing up. Plus this is not really that big of an upgrade. You mad need to say some more prayers craig.

24. greymares - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I think he is part of a trade package with the Braves

25. spudchukar - Jan 22, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Ruben Amaro Jr. is on a roll. Michael Young, John Lannan, Rodrigo Lopez, Aaron Cook, Juan Cruz, and now Delmon Young. The Pheelies are now baseball’s answer to “The Expendables”.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey