Jan 22, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
My prayers have been answered:
Delmon Young has agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract with the Phillies.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) January 22, 2013
I think this was a masterful move by Ruben Amaro. With Young in the fold, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley will once again — by comparison anyway — look like their former MVP-caliber selves. And, on a personal note, this is quite the accomplishment for Amaro inasmuch there were probably many people out there doubting that he could find any possible way to continue to block Domonic Brown. Well, Ruben showed them. He showed them good. Next year he’ll block Brown with an inanimate carbon rod.
Seriously, though: Delmon Young is a free agent who hit
22 18 home runs last year yet is making Mark DeRosa money. Heck, he’s making first-year arbitration-eligible player money. You may beat the “hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270″ drum all you like, but Major League Baseball just valued this guy at $750K, and that has to tell you something about what to expect.
UPDATE: For those of you saying that Domonic Brown won’t be blocked or that Delmon will only be a pinch hitter or bat boy or something:
Amaro: Young will play RF.
— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) January 22, 2013
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)