Jan 22, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
My prayers have been answered:
Delmon Young has agreed to a one-year, $750,000 contract with the Phillies.
— Todd Zolecki (@ToddZolecki) January 22, 2013
I think this was a masterful move by Ruben Amaro. With Young in the fold, Ryan Howard and Chase Utley will once again — by comparison anyway — look like their former MVP-caliber selves. And, on a personal note, this is quite the accomplishment for Amaro inasmuch there were probably many people out there doubting that he could find any possible way to continue to block Domonic Brown. Well, Ruben showed them. He showed them good. Next year he’ll block Brown with an inanimate carbon rod.
Seriously, though: Delmon Young is a free agent who hit
22 18 home runs last year yet is making Mark DeRosa money. Heck, he’s making first-year arbitration-eligible player money. You may beat the “hey, he’s not bad, he hits some homers and bats .270″ drum all you like, but Major League Baseball just valued this guy at $750K, and that has to tell you something about what to expect.
UPDATE: For those of you saying that Domonic Brown won’t be blocked or that Delmon will only be a pinch hitter or bat boy or something:
Amaro: Young will play RF.
— Ryan Lawrence (@ryanlawrence21) January 22, 2013
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)