Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like he is headed anywhere.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, Angels owner Arte Moreno isn’t willing “to pay a substantial part” of the $42 million in salary that Wells is owed over the final two years of his current contract.
Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 in 791 plate appearances since being acquired from the Blue Jays before the beginning of the 2011 season. He was a .280/.329/.475 hitter with Toronto.
The 34-year-old will operate as an extremely overpaid reserve outfielder this season in Anaheim.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)