Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
But it doesn’t sound like he is headed anywhere.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, Angels owner Arte Moreno isn’t willing “to pay a substantial part” of the $42 million in salary that Wells is owed over the final two years of his current contract.
Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 in 791 plate appearances since being acquired from the Blue Jays before the beginning of the 2011 season. He was a .280/.329/.475 hitter with Toronto.
The 34-year-old will operate as an extremely overpaid reserve outfielder this season in Anaheim.
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 11
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 62
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 74
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 60
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi (110)