Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like he is headed anywhere.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, Angels owner Arte Moreno isn’t willing “to pay a substantial part” of the $42 million in salary that Wells is owed over the final two years of his current contract.
Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 in 791 plate appearances since being acquired from the Blue Jays before the beginning of the 2011 season. He was a .280/.329/.475 hitter with Toronto.
The 34-year-old will operate as an extremely overpaid reserve outfielder this season in Anaheim.
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 100
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 150
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 11
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (150)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)