Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like he is headed anywhere.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, Angels owner Arte Moreno isn’t willing “to pay a substantial part” of the $42 million in salary that Wells is owed over the final two years of his current contract.
Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 in 791 plate appearances since being acquired from the Blue Jays before the beginning of the 2011 season. He was a .280/.329/.475 hitter with Toronto.
The 34-year-old will operate as an extremely overpaid reserve outfielder this season in Anaheim.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)