Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM EST
But it doesn’t sound like he is headed anywhere.
According to CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler, Angels owner Arte Moreno isn’t willing “to pay a substantial part” of the $42 million in salary that Wells is owed over the final two years of his current contract.
Wells has batted just .222/.258/.409 in 791 plate appearances since being acquired from the Blue Jays before the beginning of the 2011 season. He was a .280/.329/.475 hitter with Toronto.
The 34-year-old will operate as an extremely overpaid reserve outfielder this season in Anaheim.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)