Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Exact financial details have not been disclosed.
Hairston batted .263/.299/.504 with a career-high 20 home runs and 57 RBI in 398 plate appearances last season for the Mets. The 32-year-old veteran is a .247/.302/.449 career hitter in the major leagues.
Hairston will presumably start in right field this summer for the Cubs. If he gets off to a decent start, he can be flipped at the deadline for some youth.
The Yankees, Phillies, Braves and Mets were among the teams linked to Hairston this offseason.
UPDATE, 11:31 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says the contract is worth “up to $6 million.”
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)