Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Exact financial details have not been disclosed.
Hairston batted .263/.299/.504 with a career-high 20 home runs and 57 RBI in 398 plate appearances last season for the Mets. The 32-year-old veteran is a .247/.302/.449 career hitter in the major leagues.
Hairston will presumably start in right field this summer for the Cubs. If he gets off to a decent start, he can be flipped at the deadline for some youth.
The Yankees, Phillies, Braves and Mets were among the teams linked to Hairston this offseason.
UPDATE, 11:31 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says the contract is worth “up to $6 million.”
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)