Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
Exact financial details have not been disclosed.
Hairston batted .263/.299/.504 with a career-high 20 home runs and 57 RBI in 398 plate appearances last season for the Mets. The 32-year-old veteran is a .247/.302/.449 career hitter in the major leagues.
Hairston will presumably start in right field this summer for the Cubs. If he gets off to a decent start, he can be flipped at the deadline for some youth.
The Yankees, Phillies, Braves and Mets were among the teams linked to Hairston this offseason.
UPDATE, 11:31 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says the contract is worth “up to $6 million.”
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)