Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 PM EST
Exact financial details have not been disclosed.
Hairston batted .263/.299/.504 with a career-high 20 home runs and 57 RBI in 398 plate appearances last season for the Mets. The 32-year-old veteran is a .247/.302/.449 career hitter in the major leagues.
Hairston will presumably start in right field this summer for the Cubs. If he gets off to a decent start, he can be flipped at the deadline for some youth.
The Yankees, Phillies, Braves and Mets were among the teams linked to Hairston this offseason.
UPDATE, 11:31 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says the contract is worth “up to $6 million.”
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)