Cubs reach two-year agreement with Scott Hairston

Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT

scott hairston getty Getty Images

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Cubs have signed free agent outfielder Scott Hairston to a two-year contract. It’s only pending a physical exam.

Exact financial details have not been disclosed.

Hairston batted .263/.299/.504 with a career-high 20 home runs and 57 RBI in 398 plate appearances last season for the Mets. The 32-year-old veteran is a .247/.302/.449 career hitter in the major leagues.

Hairston will presumably start in right field this summer for the Cubs. If he gets off to a decent start, he can be flipped at the deadline for some youth.

The Yankees, Phillies, Braves and Mets were among the teams linked to Hairston this offseason.

**********************

UPDATE, 11:31 PM: Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago says the contract is worth “up to $6 million.”

1. butchhuskey - Jan 23, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Now the Mets outfield is really going to suck

2. thebadguyswon - Jan 23, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Who cares? They win 70 games instead of 72. BFD

• mgdsquiggy17 - Jan 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I know. You care so little that you feel the need to tell everyone how much you actually don’t care.

• thebadguyswon - Jan 24, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I wasn’t aware this was a comment section on a blog. My bad.

3. brewcrewfan54 - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Cubs win the Scott Hairston sweepstakes!!!! That’s a really mediocre dream.

4. mazblast - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I don’t understand why the Cubs are doing this. Hairston is a fine platoon player, nothing more. His greatest value would be as a role player on a contender. Instead, the Cubs will try him as a regular on a team going nowhere this year. Why?

• larryboodry - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM

Hoyer and Epstein are evidently just finding bodies to run out there everyday until guys like Jackson, Baez, Soler, & Lake are ready…My smh moment came when they re-signed Ian Stewart…I’d have given Vitters one last shot before slapping the ‘bust’ label on him.

• chuckleberry1974 - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:02 AM

So far as I know, no one for the Cubs has stuck the bust label on Vitters. At every level, Vitters struggles at the time of his promotion and then comes back the next season and does well. I think re-signing Stewart had more to do with putting a good-fielding 3rd baseman out there until Vitters, Lake, Villanueva, Baez or whoever is ready to take over. Plus he’s cheap. If he does well, lots of teams looking for a 3rd baseman at the trade deadline.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

larryboodry nailed it. This team is as mediocre as you can get except at SS and 1B. If Cubs fans weren’t so irritatingly loyal, they’d demand restitution for this crime against fandom. Epstein has a plan, clearly, but boy oh boy he had better win some game in the next few years, once this “warm body” stage is over, or he’s going to be strung up.

5. gbar22 - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Thank goodness! I’m so happy the Mets wont be bringing him back. This is almost as good as finding out the Mets signed someone.

6. drubeatz - Jan 24, 2013 at 6:11 AM

Wow…this is the top story? I’m glad the Mets didn’t sign him. He defines mediocrity. Yeah, he had a decent season last year but definitely not the answer for our outfield problems. Good job Sandy in not getting this dude.

• bolweevils2 - Jan 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM

He does define mediocrity, but mediocre is better than any of the Mets other outfielders at the moment. He wouldn’t have been a difference maker, but he’d be an adequate placeholder. And realistically, all the Mets are doing again this year is biding their time for the future.

7. riverace19 - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:44 AM

The Dodgers and Angels shop retail, Theo gets his players on eBay. This move fits everything else he has done.

8. chuckleberry1974 - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I sorta disagree with the sentiment here so far. Not entirely, but some. A serviceable, veteran outfield that is not intended to get you to the World Series is part of the plan for developing the franchise. At least one of the outfield starters will be flipped to a contender at some point I’d bet, and the re-building will continue.

9. stex52 - Jan 24, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I’m impressed he had such a high OPS with such a poor on base percentage. He’d be great in the Astros outfield. But not many other places. Still, I wish Houston would do something to make the team interesting. Someone along Hairston’s lines is kind of what I visualized.

10. Uncle Charlie - Jan 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I really like what Theo and Jed have done this off season with the Cubs, a lot low cost decent return deals. Good position filler and trade bait.

11. sleepyirv - Jan 24, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Even as a Cubs fan, it’s hard to get interested in any of these stopgap measures until Theo makes the team right (hopefully just after Wrigley’s renovations are done).

Not that I’ll stop watching them. I think I might have some sort of dangerous mental problem.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3497)