Jan 23, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Young’s one-year, $750,000 contract includes bonuses based on his weight, according to The Associated Press. Young must be weighed six separate instances, the timing of which will be chosen by the Phillies.
Each time he makes weight, Young receives $100,000. The first three times he must weigh 230 pounds or less. He must weigh 235 pounds or less for the last three weigh-ins.
So a 238 pound guy need only lose eight pounds, and then can even gain back five of them, and he gets $600K? That has to be about the easiest money around, no? When you weigh that much to begin with an extra bowl of Fiber One, a few extra glasses of water a week and walking slowly past a treadmill can make that happen, right?
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17